Emerging Scholars Program

<p>I remember several months ago there was a discussion of the Emerging Scholars program, and it sounded like there were a number of CC kids who were interested in the program. Did anyone end up participating in it, and if so, how did it go? I couldn’t get a good sense of the program from the website, so it would be interesting to get feedback from someone who was involved in it. Did it end up being a good alternative for the kids who weren’t selected for CBHP?</p>

<p>I think my DD would very enthusiastically recommend the program. It is nice to get to do some research as a freshman, and it is a good opportunity to start making some connections for the future.</p>

<p>Thanks, Juniebug. What kind of research did your daughter end up doing? How was she matched with a professor? Is the research ongoing, or is it just for one semester/year? Any details would be great.</p>

<p>My son is an Emerging Scholar. He has enjoyed the program and has made several close friends who are also in the program. Dr. Webb has been easy for him to work with and has been very understanding while he’s been sick. I’m not sure I know too many more details but will be sure to ask my son.</p>

<p>My son is a business major Emerging Scholar and would echo the above comments. Not only is his chosen research project of great interest to him, but he is also paired with highly experienced Phd students and professors while gaining research experience. Dr. Webb bridged connections with various professors to discuss what research they were doing and my son was able to select which one. I seem to recall she sent an email to the students listing possible research options and contacts making the process simple. I would imagine that being an Emerging Scholar is good for resume building as well as obtaining professor recommendations for future internships.</p>

<p>Beth’smom, my understanding is that during the first semester the students met once a week with Ann Webb who brought in speakers to discuss the sort of research they are doing. It counts as a one credit class. At the end of the semester, I think the students had to express an interest in a type of research and then they were matched with the willing professor. Then there was a meeting with the professor and his grad students the first week of the second semester where they got to talk to individuals and hear what they are working on. My DD is a bio major, and she joined a team that is researching the effect of hormones (that are excreted in urine and put into the water supply) on a single sex kind of fish. Sounds like they’re looking to see if the male fish takes on female characteristics. </p>

<p>The professor seems to take his mentoring seriously and has indicated that he welcomes willing participants in the future. I gather it is a good thing to have on a resume, but the important thing is that DD is learning how research is done and is enjoying the experience. Also, I think she would say the time commitment hasn’t been too much to manage.</p>

<p>kmwjes - my D is also planning on majoring in business (econ/finance/math) and would want to do research in that area. Is your son working on a business related research project?</p>