Emerson College - new Business of Creative Enterprises major

Does anyone have info or comments on the new Business of Creative Enterprises major at Emerson? It seems to hit the sweet spot for my S24 who is interested in the business side of fashion and the creative economy.

2 Likes

For full disclosure, I’m a CPA with an undergrad business degree. In a quick look at the curriculum of the program you noted, it does not appear to give a very strong background in the core business subjects. For example, there is just one “finance and accounting” course while at an undergrad business school students must take 2 finance and 2 accounting courses at a minimum. As another example, there is one “cultural economics” class at Emerson while at a business program students take at least one semester each of micro and macro.

Emerson’s program looks to me like more of a communication/creativity based program with a few business courses thrown in. If that is what your student wants, then great – but I’d seek out information about the employment track record of students who graduate with that major.

Keep in mind that graduates of a traditional business school can always look for jobs in the fashion/other creative industries.

Perhaps others who are entrenched in the creative world will have a different opinion and hopefully someone else will chime in.

1 Like

Thank you for this perspective! He’s looking at some straight-up business programs too, for this very reason.

1 Like

I have a different perspective on this. Emerson is world renowned in many area’s and have great connections. They also have a masters program I believe. It’s not a straight up business program. It’s designed with aspects of the arts etc.

It will be a creative atmosphere. Very talented people work there with great connections in all facets especially fashion.

I would reach out and talk with an advisor but more importantly I would reach out to recent graduates to get a better feel for the program. It sorta seems like an entrepreneurship type program for the business of art per se.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.