Emerson Program Overview and Campus Description

I can’t find any of my notes on the actual program overview, but I’ll share what I can remember from the campus tour we did back in early November.

Campus is composed of a handful of buildings located right on the edge of the Boston Common–an awesome downtown location! The buildings aren’t contiguous, but are within a couple of blocks of each other. We didn’t get to see very much of the common area. What we did see was essentially a collection of couches on the first floor. There was more to it on the upper floors, but I don’t remember the details. The dining area was very close to the dorm building that they showed us and, I have to say the food looked pretty good, but we didn’t actually eat there. The dorm room they showed us was the smallest dorm room I have ever laid eyes on–no joke. I felt a bit claustrophobic and I am not normally. I would definitely advise you to look for videos on YouTube to see it for yourself. Students must live off-campus senior year as they do not have enough housing for all students for all four years. There is a badge system to make sure that only Emerson students who have badges can get access. I will say I found the “cages” in the stairwells that facilitate this a little off-putting. The class rooms and journalism production areas that they showed us were very nice and looked updated. They talked a lot about the many, many campus clubs and organizations. It really seemed like there was something for everyone and if you don’t find what you are looking for, you are encouraged to start your own.

I went to Boston for grad school and it’s a wonderful town to be a college student in. Transportation is easy and close by with the T and there is so, so much to do.

Emerson is located in the theater district of Boston - like the theater district of NY its a little seedier than some other areas of Boston (like where BU is). With that said, it was very crowded so probably safety in numbers. The campus is the city. They have a lot of theaters - tons of performance opportunities. Some of the theaters are just gorgeous - old - painted and ornate ceilings - a lot of character.

The dorms have large fun common areas - some lounge and some that you can cook in. The theater people have their own floor (if you want to live there - not required) The dorms I saw were kind of small - but clean. They have a common bathroom down the hall. Also clean. They do have a nice urban city view - but far from spacious. Security was all over - we had to swipe or sign in everywhere.

A lot of places to eat on campus. A very nice athletic center - Bobby Brown was a graduate, her name is on a lot of things. The space we were in for auditions was large and clean. There is definitely an artsy feel from the student body - a lot of purple and blue hair etc… Everyone was very nice to each other. D has a friend there that walked us around and every time she passed people everyone was like “love you”…

The kids do a lot of things in Boston - which is a great town. The girl we knew goes to a lot of shows both on campus and off, broadway and off-broadway type stuff. Obviously no cars - but you don’t need them. They have sports teams and that really modern sports complex but not sure you get the rah-rah campus life.

We met Eric (I believe that’s his name) who runs the program - I thought he was very nice - lovely. Funny because some people met them at Unifieds and got a different vibe - I felt from the entire experience that it was a warm and nurturing environment. They have a large and active alumni network - not all performers but many in the biz. They have a lot of internships with casting etc… They will help you get into summer stock - you touch base a lot with your counselor etc…

An urban campus environment in a great college town - I would touch base with current students to make sure there is a fit just because it is a very small school student body wise and it had a distinct artsy vibe. I do have that one contact who isn’t MT she is theater performance if you would like to contact her PM me.

Hi, these are both great accounts of the campus from an outsiders perspective, so I don’t mean any disrespect but just wanted to reach out and correct a few things from my perspective. I go to Emerson and am a (I guess now rising senior?) BFA MT.

So dorms: honestly when my parents and I toured, they thought these were some of the nicer dorms they’d ever seen. And after three years on campus, I would say I agree. There are 5 dorm buildings, but as a frosh you are automatically placed in the Little Building, which I’m assuming is the dorm the above posts are talking about. Definitely has a “live” feeling because it’s frosh people all living in close quarters with no common space in their rooms and and communal bathrooms. This is probably the closest you’ll get to a “college” dorm experience. Every other dorm is suite style living (so a collection of singles, doubles and sometimes triples with a shared bathroom among those 4-8 people living in a suite). Some exceptions for standalone triples in two of the buildings but these also have their own bathrooms. Overall nicely quiet but friendly living experience. Dining hall is on the same block as most dorms. I’d say overall it’s a nice experience, the dorms aren’t the most spacious but it’s not notably bad at all, and for me, has been more than sufficient.

Like both posts have pointed out, Boston is a very live and happening medium sized city. When you get the chance to get off campus there is PLENTY to do and see and explore. I had a job waiting tables at a restaurant by the aquarium for my first two years. And a job deep in the north end at a gym recently (right before coronavirus). I’ve seen lots of theatre and tried loads of restaurants, coffee shops, ice cream parlors and other assorted activities. Definitely a perk of being in the city and in the middle of it all. But I will also definitely say that the MT schedule means you’ll spend a lot of time in the 3 blocks of Emerson’s campus when you’re in rehearsal (which can be often if you do student theatre and main stage and such).

A common misconception is that Eric runs the program. And it’s understandable because he handles a lot of admissions communication. He’s fantastic and a very kind, knowledgeable soul! But frankly, I barely see the man at this point in my Emerson career, so maybe not the best to think about in terms of who you’ll have the most contact with. The PA chair currently is Bob Colby, and the MT area head is Amelia Broome both of whom have been wonderful guides during my time at Emerson (Amelia is my teacher for studio right now, and coincidentally auditioned me for the school, before she was even the MT Head). I was also somewhat unsure about them at unifieds but I will say that they court you pretty hard once you’re accepted, and you learn a lot about what it’s like to go here. I will say the MT area is very good about summerstock stuff usually and supplies us with ample resources to learn about each conference and helps with the ins and outs of negotiating contracts, and figuring out what’s going to be the best opportunity of you. I do not touch base with a counselor like the above post mentions haha, but that doesn’t really matter, like I said, the entire faculty is supportive and helpful about info on summerstock a and they have some connections that can help (though ultimately booking the gig will rely on what each theatre needs for the season, type, etc) so in that way the whole faculty is like your “counselor”. But if you are a theatre and performance major, or even acting, you’re a little hung out to dry in this particular subject. Not impossible by any means but that isn’t that departments focus.

(Part 1, continued below…)

(Part 2)

There is quite a lot to say about the program. I would say if you’re interested in fine details more about what the experience of it all is like after reading this next chunk, PM me or have your student join this year’s auditioning Facebook group (I think it’s like Crucible Cast Party or something) and post in there (I believe some of my peers in the program are in that group). Some of the details of this could very well change and probably will change by the time your student potentially comes to Emerson.

But based on my experience/the curriculum now, and my understanding of the changes going forward, as a general overview: for the entire time you are in the program you will always have AT MINIMUM a twice a week 1 hour and 45 min dance class, a once a week 1 hour voice lesson and a twice a week 2 hour and 45 min acting class. Those will be your performing requirements.

In the first year the dance class is Ballet I for a semester and Jazz I for the other (dance is not leveled and you cannot skip this class to take the advanced class). The acting is mixed with the theatre and performance majors and is Linklater voice and movement based in a lot of different methods. In sophomore year the acting class, which will just be the MTs in your year at that point, is Scene Study in the fall (which is a combination of exercises to learn technique, and then assigned scenes to apply the concepts) and then a basics of acting through the song class in the spring (we also received early professional orientation such as mock auds, going over contracts, websites, standard email conventions, etc). The dance classes are hip hop and tap that year. Junior year, you make the full transition to “studio” where the acting class becomes 3 times a week for 2 hours and 45 min each. For the fall the two main days are further exploration of solo acting through the song classes and the third day is essentially a technical examination about sound production in singing to effectively communicate the text (this is a very reductive explanation but it’s a summary). In the spring it’s “advanced” solo work, coming to more contemporary material, and musical scene study the main two days, and dialects for the third day. The dance class is a general “MT Rep” class so just focusing the technique you learned through a fine point to look more at style as well as mock auds. If you have the credit room, either from APs or IBs or dual enrollment or waived requirements from test scores, etc, this year is when people usually start to add elective dance classes, like Ballet or Jazz II, or modern, or tap and hip hop (which my class didn’t get to take as sophomores because our requirements were different than what your students now have to take). As well as potentially elective advanced acting courses like acting for the camera, or the chekhov technique, or even playwriting. Usually people will have at least one or two elective spaces to take extra classes like this. Senior year, the main two days of studio will be pop/rock performance and contemporary MT styles for the fall and the third day is Shakespeare. In the spring the two days are called “pre-pro” which is essentially masterclasses, workshops and mock auditions with professionals from Boston or NYC. They also do a reading of a new work by a resident composer. The third day is Sondheim. The dance class is another MT styles/rep class, building upon the previous year.

There are also “academic” requirements for PA classes. In freshman year it is called Languages of the Stage which is essentially an intro to theatre studies class that every PA is required to take. They introduce a common vocabulary to all PA students about theatrical concepts and ideas. It is a one semester, three times a week 1 hour and 45 min class, with a big lecture one day and then break out smaller classes the other two days. Sophomore year it’s a (I believe only one semester now but I could be totally wrong) one semester “world drama” course which is pretty self explanatory but basically just about theatrical history and traditions from various countries and styles around the world. This is twice a week for 1 hour and 45 min. You are also required to take two 2 credit stagecraft classes which range from mask making, to scenic construction, to scene painting to electrics and now they’re offering makeup too I think! These will either be twice a week for 1 hour and 45 min for half a semester or once a week for 1 hour and 45 min for the whole semester. Junior year there is a full year of “History of the American Musical”. This was not in our requirements, but I audited the course and it was fantastic. I am unsure what their plans are to change it because it’s historically (lol) only been a semester long class. Some have told me they are considering adding a “rep” element to the class where there is performance. You would have to ask a younger student or email the school itself. You have none of these requirements senior year.

This is all in addition to the liberal arts requirements that are trademarks of Emerson’s program.

In terms of performance opportunities for the main stage, there are currently two musicals a year, one small cast and one big cast (this coming year it will be Godspell and 9 to 5). Then there are roughly 4-5 main stage plays of varying cast sizes, as well as a new works festival for all of March that includes two fully produced productions, one written by a student at Emerson, and one by an up and coming professional playwright. Last year, the latter was actually a musical. Between those two productions there is also a slew of readings and shorts also written by students. I will say that yes, Emerson has three beautiful old time theatres that are gorgeously decorated and have prob over a thousand seats each. But the Colonial is almost exclusively for out of town shows, and the other two only get one production a year for main stage college shows. Typically both spaces are used for ArtsEmerson (the professional company associated with Emerson) shows which students NORMALLY cannot be in. Not that performing in these gorgeous spaces is the end all be all I just always want to bring it up because it’s what prospective students usually think of as a strong reason to come, and the reality is you may never get to perform in either space (I most likely will not get to before I graduate).

In addition to this there truly is a PLETHORA of other opportunities to perform through the student orgs that the above posts mentioned. There is a student theatre troupe dedicated to doing musicals that produces 4 ish shows a year. There is a troupe dedicated to TYA shows that usually does 1-2 musicals and 1-2 plays. Also other troupes that sounds rarely produced works, or works by writers of color and performed exclusively by woman and non binary individuals of color. In addition to this, there are grad student directing projects, student films for class or extracurriculars. There are also 5 acappella groups and 2 dance troupes that are all student run. There are even comedy troupes. And the list goes on. Truly there is something for everyone in the student org scene if you have time for it in your schedule and if it suits you.

Last thing to clear up that I think most people know by this point but I just want to put it out there: the average class size for MT, unless that changes in the future, is capped at 18 students. When I was applying to MT at Emerson I thought it was more like 20-30, but the class size is actually very small comparatively. My class has 13, the rising juniors has 15, and the rising sophomores have 18. But all three classes above us had 12 or 14. It is a VERY small school and program.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy and good luck with your decisions!

Hi @Monkeiiboy ! I was wondering if you had an idea of how likely it is for Emerson to reach into their waitlist pile for MT?

@“Zachar..y” I’d say pretty likely! Kids come off the waitlist every year or get transferred into MT from T&P occasionally. Obviously not a guarantee but ¯_(ツ)