Emory Class of 2027 Official Thread

Admissions has been crazy since COVID. So far he hasn’t heard back from Oxford after he asked them some questions over the weekend. His other schools have been reaching out non-stop.
We will make a final decision later today, after he takes his 4000 level math final at that big 10 school-lol!

Good luck to your son!

1 Like

Not sure where the academic stepping stone lore comes from but of kids we know heading to Oxford, they are high stats and easily capable of the workload at any top 20 college. Several opted in to Oxford for the liberal arts opportunity. Social experience would be different but definitely workable - and I’m sure plenty of other like-minded fellow students.

1 Like

Wow! That’s not the impression we got at our Oxford preview day at all. Administration was very certain to emphasize how the Oxford academic experience is absolutely no different than starting at the Atlanta campus. We saw mainly the upsides at Ox of being in even smaller classes for the general prerequisites and a better chance of getting assistance or mentoring from actual professors vs TAs (which is our experience having already had one Chem major at a T15 school… gen Chem, intro Econ are huge weedout classes)

OMG you really got the best experience! My son sees getting a group together to go to the city for concerts EVERY weekend :joy::joy::joy: … I had to remind him he’ll be a poor college student :flushed::roll_eyes: LOL. Then he was excited and telling friends that the shuttle runs until 2am on weekends and my husband goes ‘but your curfew is midnight’ … Bless his heart, it took him a minute to get the joke (but we parents laughed and laughed)

My son ended up declining the Oxford offer but is still waitlisted for Emory campus. He did commit to our state university that I mentioned yesterday. Then this morning he got off waitlist for one of his #1 schools (not Emory). Now we need to see the FA offer to see if he commits.
Good luck to you, waitlist offers do happen!

That’s amazing! What school is it?

Cornell

He was waitlist at Cornell, Northwestern and Emory. He still has Northwestern and Emory left. Those have been his top 3. He declined Oxford because he felt that Emory campus was a better fit for him (and for the money).

That’s awesome good for him! My daughter is waitlisted at Emory, UVA and Georgetown but Emory is her #1.

3 Likes

Kid got into Emory with NO merit. Dad spent eight years there. We aren’t going to pay $85,000 a year (tuition and housing) so others can go for free or half off. No thanks.

4 Likes

Curious, how many have kids with Emory/Oxford College offers who have accepted?
Or are most on this thread interested/accepted to Emory/ATL only?