Emory Classes

I am extremely proud to form part of the class of 2021 for Emory, but I am completely lost as to what classes I should or have to take. As I began filling out my cart with required courses I began to notice various courses have multiple professors for the same classes, so I was wondering if theres any website Emory students use to review and recommend professors, or if any of you out there know of teachers at Emory that you recommend. Thank you!

“Rate My Professor” .com should help. If you aren’t sure about a major/ career path just take general requirements. The professor you choose for those classes don’t really matter much.

@emoryunder : Do you have any idea of what classes/departments you would like to take courses in and what level (note that as a freshman, you need not start at 100 levels even for areas outside of your prospective majors. Many 200 levels and special topics in some depts, especially social science and humanities are accessible to first years. You do not have to settle with the most general survey courses which may often be very large for an Emory course and in some cases trash) you plan to start with? I can help maybe look up some good folks if I am familiar or at least teach how to read between the lines on RMP (some of the ratings and comments can often be code for thin gs they have nothing to do with how well an instructor helps students learn…like student course evaluations).

Wow thank you for the informative response! I was thinking of a business major, so I know I have the 4 requisite courses to take, but besides that I was wondering about recommendations for the writing requirement, physical education, etc.

Those are literally up to you. Try to choose top instructors for the economics classes (as in good, not just easy. Apparently really no level 100 econ. courses are particularly challenging anyway). Continued Writing requirements can be taken in any humanities or social science. Choose a department and a topic you like. If you do not have an AP/IB/college credit for the freshman writing requirement, then go through the English/Complit 181 courses and check out the course descriptions which in many cases give a deep description of the topic the class is focused on. Choose what you like. Those classes vary so much from semester to semester that there can be no recommendations that are set in stone. CWRs are a different story. I also advise using AP/IB for calculus if you have it as the calc. 1 courses at Emory are hardly anything special/worth any experienced person’s time. But this is the beauty of college. Outside of those BBA pre-reqs which are so few, you get to use your own judgement and explore instructors and courses you may enjoy (again, when possible, take instructors and not courses).

In general: http://atlas.college.emory.edu/schedules/index.php?select=ENG

For these variable freshman English classes (101 and 181), more information becomes available in the description later in the summer, but you can see a sample to me.