Emory or Alabama on full tuition or Rochester?

<p>*This is a perfectly valid point, and likely true. But what about my gen ed courses? What about courses outside of my major? How about in the dorms? Being immersed in an intellectually engaging environment will engender intellectual growth. The CS classes may pit me against incredibly stark competition, but I only spend so much time in class. *</p>

<p>What Gen Ed classes do you need? What AP credits are you coming in with? CS majors don’t have a lot of Core Req’ts. </p>

<p>And, there are honors courses that fulfill GE courses anyway…so those will have high stats kids in them. </p>

<p>As for housing…wouldn’t you be choosing Honors housing? If so, again, you wouldn’t have modest scoring kids in those dorms.</p>

<p>

Based on what the last few of you have been saying, I would probably have to agree. It doesn’t sound like it is the best fit for me. Will I end up at UA? There is a small possibility, but you all have revealed that I would likely be unhappy in such an environment, and I can understand why. That was my hope. It seems as though I have been successful in elucidating my views, and perhaps the UA campus will be a little better off next year with me enrolling elsewhere. Congratulations to your daughter for being accepted to those extremely selective privates with their holistic admissions. That alone is a great feat. </p>

<p>Regarding acting inappropriately as a guest: I am sorry if any of my posts have come across as offensive. Please understand that this was not my intention. In contrast, I have consciously made an effort to acknowledge in each of my posts the presence of incredibly bright and immensely intelligent students who enroll at UA each year. It seems as though the majority of you who are such strong advocates of the school are actually the ones with the most hard-working and intelligent children, perhaps over-representing what is seemingly a minority on the actual campus.
I have sought only to cite what is already known. UA is such a large school, therefore there is quite a broad spectrum of students represented. There are the top students who would thrive no matter where they went, then there are students who really could care less about their studies and decided to go to UA for the football program or because it was their in-state flagship. The bottom line is that the AVERAGE UA student is significantly behind the AVERAGE student at a top tier school. There are outliers at both, but averages help to convey a general picture of the students who are the vast majority on each campus. If this truly offends you, perhaps you should consider if choosing the school was right for you. These are facts you all acknowledged going in, and many of you have stated that there is no other place your child would rather be. It sounds like you all made the best choice possible, and I hope to have as much success in my own decision.</p>

<p>

As I said in an earlier post, (I don’t blame you for skimming over it or missing it entirely. I type long superfluous responses.) I have one AP: English Composition. I am self-studying Human Geography to take at the end of this year. I have 30 college credits from my local cc, encompassing mostly humanities.
Yes I would be in the honors dorm and likely honors GEs. Good point, this would certainly provide a different experience than being enrolled just as an average student. Something else to consider…</p>

<p>No regrets here. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Nihility,</p>

<p>Well spoken, honest, open. Remarkable traits for even the brightest of high school seniors.</p>

<p>While you play to the ‘average’ student at the various Universities you’ve listed, there are only a select few students that you will (choose to) associate with as friends over the course of your stay at any of those institutions. I would like to suggest that you will be able to find more than enough classmates at any of your choices that will challenge you intellectually. I would caution you not to use this as your measuring stick to make a decision.</p>

<p>Anyway, best wishes for the remainder of your senior year and with your decision over the next couple of weeks. Wherever you choose to go, make the most of it.</p>

<p>I have no problem with your questions or concerns. They’re actually questions I get ALL the time in PMs. They’re legit questions.</p>

<p>The biggest wrong assumption that people make about all mid-tiers is that their classmates will all be from the university at large. That might be so if you were taking a less challenging major, but the STEMs are unique because they weed heavily because upper division is so tough that they don’t want kids going “that far” and then finding out they can’t cut it. </p>

<p>The STEMs require all the harder versions of the sciences and generally require more math (more Calculus, etc) than the other majors. Schools can’t just water down the curriculum for STEMs; they have to meet certain criteria and they use the same textbooks as everyone else does. </p>

<p>*As I said in an earlier post, (I don’t blame you for skimming over it or missing it entirely. I type long superfluous responses.) I have one AP: English Composition. I am self-studying Human Geography to take at the end of this year. I have 30 college credits from my local cc, encompassing mostly humanities. </p>

<p>Yes I would be in the honors dorm and likely honors GEs. Good point, this would certainly provide a different experience than being enrolled just as an average student. Something else to consider…*</p>

<p>Sorry I missed the above. </p>

<p>Sounds like you’ll have 6 credits for Frosh Comp (if you got at least a 4 in AP English). The 30 credits are in humanities? Which ones? Literature? Fine Arts? Foreign languages? History? Can you clarify?</p>

<p>It sounds like you will have nearly all Core taken except maybe sciences??? What about Cal I?</p>

<p>Coming in to this thread late because I’m not normally on UA’s forum any longer due to my guy choosing URoc for 2016. This particular time I’m supervising students in a 2 hour long study hall (non-testing students), so I branched out… hence, I may not remember to come back should anyone respond to my post (if I remember it and have time I will).</p>

<p>Anyway, is money not a concern? If not, then choose either Emory or URoc. My guy had identical offers (almost identical costs - obviously a higher offer from URoc if one wants to get technical), so he easily went with best fit (and for him, after visits, that was URoc). However, I don’t know that the decision would have come as easily if money were a factor.</p>

<p>And, many of the classrooms at URoc are also old and run down. Some we went in were still using blackboards. They put their $$ into research. ;)</p>

<p>Which brings up another issue. How much do you want to do research? That’s a biggie at URoc (80% of undergrads choose research). There are literally oodles of options - far more opportunities (varied opportunities) than we saw at any other undergrad (not that we visited them all). For my guy, that was the tipping point. He wants to do research and they’ll offer plenty of opportunities. He stayed with upperclassmen and discussed research they were doing as well as other options available. He came back saying he wanted to go there.</p>

<p>If you’re not so much into research, I’d pick Emory (cost not an issue) or UA (cost is an issue) with what you’ve stated so far. URoc’s buildings may be too old for you and you might feel out of place being one of the 20% vs one of the 80%. (Not trying to be mean - just honest).</p>

<p>*If you’re not so much into research, I’d pick Emory (cost not an issue) or UA (cost is an issue) with what you’ve stated so far. *</p>

<p>Uhhh…Bama has plenty of research opps.</p>

<p>BTW…I would hope that Bama people don’t hop over to the URoch or Emory boards and post. It’s impolite.</p>

<p>^^^ Actually, what should probably happen is to have a moderator move this thread to the College Search and Selection area - not any one school’s forum.</p>

<p>And when people do post questions comparing schools on URoc’s forum - others do answer - usually with decent advice.</p>

<p>M2CK, you’re a great advocate for a school you love. You’ve helped many students find, consider, and choose UA. You’re probably as good for UA as their policy itself, but, no school is perfect for everyone. Sometimes it’s more important to match a school to a student rather than try to fit a student to a school.</p>

<p>And yes, UA does offer research opportunities. I’m sorry if I implied they didn’t. I’m sure Emory does too (but I have no personal knowledge of the school once middle son cut it from the list prior to applications). The amount of research options available to students at URoc is just significantly more from what we’ve seen, as is the percentage of the students who choose a research way of life.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>No it’s not. Again - public forum, not private UA fan club, and information directly relevant to OP’s post.</p>

<p>The following is from [The</a> Admission Game - College Planning Blog](<a href=“Errors error404 - Best College Fit”>Errors error404 - Best College Fit)</p>

<p>Great advise from Peter @ the admission game website:
(Bottom line: it is not where you go but what you do at the college of your choice!)</p>

<p>April 19th, 2012</p>

<p>The next two weeks are a point of reckoning for high school seniors. After months, if not years, of searching and sorting through college options, the choice of a college all boils down to the May 1 Candidates’ Reply Date and—what for some students is the $50,000 question—“Where do I send my enrollment deposit?”</p>

<p>Students and parents alike are obsessed with finding the answer as is evidenced by these queries.</p>

<p>From a student, “Is it better to go a school that has given me a $20,000 scholarship, a summer internship opportunity and the promise of a letter of recommendation from the college president at graduation—or should I go to a ‘better’ school that hasn’t given me any of these things?”</p>

<p>And from a parent (unrelated), “Four schools have given our child varying amounts of scholarship assistance. How do we determine which of them represents the best ‘value?’”</p>

<p>In each case, the answer lies within the student. To infer otherwise is to devalue, albeit unintentionally, the young person’s goals, learning style and character. At this point in the decision-making, there are no absolutes that can be applied with certainty.</p>

<p>Each question—and others like them being asked in countless households around the country—seems to imply a natural order among colleges that doesn’t really exist. While it’s true that colleges differ with regard to how they engage young people educationally, the differences are most appropriately defined within the context of what the student brings to the table.</p>

<p>The student who couldn’t decide between an attractive package from one school and the basic offer from another “better” school was allowing the “look of the label” (read: brand name) to influence his assessment. In essence, he was asking, “Which will look better?—rather than, “Which will work better for me?” The truth of the matter is the biggest difference between the two schools is geographic! Given his career goals and hands-on learning preference, the answer should have been clear to him.</p>

<p>Similarly, in asking her question, the parent was comparing brands in an attempt to lend objectivity to the choice of a college without factoring her child into the equation. Rather than asking whether one college versus another was “worth” the difference in out-of-pocket expense to the family, she might have pursued a line of questioning that focused on her child’s comfort level with the various academic cultures and learning environments. In other words, assuming an ability to meet college costs at any of the schools, the questions might have been, “in what type of environment does my child function comfortably and, that said, where is he most likely to be meaningfully engaged such that he can achieve his educational goals?”</p>

<p>In assessing college options, then, it is reasonable to assume that a student really should not be confronted with any that are truly lacking. And, in fairness, the folks raising the questions referenced above were trying to make fine distinctions between good and valid options. They simply needed to recognize that some will fit better than others and, in order to find that fit, they needed to refocus on the students’ core priorities.</p>

<p>As you make your final choice of a college try to ignore the label or brand of an institution. It won’t be easy (and it probably sounds heretical!), but as you are no doubt coming to realize, the labels can be a huge distraction to your decision-making. And, believe it or not, the name of the place you choose now will carry less weight than you imagine after you have graduated from that institution. It is what you do while enrolled that gives greatest definition to your future prospects, both personally and professionally, in life. That’s why finding the best fit is so important!</p>

<p>Instead, focus on your objectives as well as what you have learned about the style and content of a given college’s offerings. As you do, keep the following questions in mind:</p>

<pre><code>Which school gives me the best opportunity to achieve my educational goals by virtue of its curriculum, faculty and facilities?
In which learning environment will I be able to “do my thing” most comfortably?
Which college will challenge me to develop my skills to their fullest?
Where will I find a community of “scholars” that brings out the best in me as a person?
Which college has demonstrated that it is most likely to invest in my success?
</code></pre>

<p>Think for yourself and you can’t go wrong! Happy decision-making!</p>

<p>Since you have expressed interest in both Computer Science and Business have you looked into the UA’s STEM Business Honors Coursework: [url=&lt;a href=“http://manderson.cba.ua.edu/stemmba/stem-curriculum]Curriculum[/url”&gt;http://manderson.cba.ua.edu/stemmba/stem-curriculum]Curriculum[/url</a>]
“Students accepted for the STEM path to the MBA will begin taking STEM Business Honors courses the fall semester of their freshman year.”</p>

<p>Pinot…</p>

<p>The point isn’t about the right to post. </p>

<p>The point is that when people make contrast threads in each school’s forum about A vs B vs C (or whatever), the threads often devolve into bickering if fans of each school start posting in the other’s forums. </p>

<p>If a Emory fan has something to say about Emory’s superior offerings in contrast to the other schools, then do so in the Emory forum because the OP will be reading that thread to learn about that school. The same for the thread in the Uroch forum. The threads will become a mess if fans from each school post in the others’ forums. That just the way it is.</p>

<p>oops…too late to edit typos. :(</p>

<p>If an Emory fan…</p>

<p>That’s just the way it is.</p>

<p>(there are probably others…lol)</p>

<p>Anyway…if there hadn’t been a long history of such thread devolving into bickering and such, I wouldn’t feel the way I do. I know that I’m not alone. It’s just best for each school’s fans to post their thoughts on their own forum’s A vs B vs C threads.</p>

<p>Awwww - I miss NJ!!</p>

<p>^^^ Yup, me too. NJ’s posts were not only entertaining, but he was right up there w/ M2CK with helpful, reliable information about 'bama. I do miss him, especially now since D is heading to 'Bama and her best friend is going to Auburn. We need some good jokes to send their way!</p>

<p>Here’s a joke I heard the other day.
What does Auburn stand for? Alabama Usually Beats Us 'Round November.
What does UT stand for? Us Too.</p>

<p>I’m sure NJ will be back eventually…and I am sure that he lurks here…</p>