Emory University-Accepted but won't be able to visit

My kid has several acceptances at schools which we will not be able to visit. Naturally, that makes it difficult.
Couple of questions about Emory:

1. Undecided major: likely something along the lines of both STEM and humanities. Are there any considerations like difficulty getting into courses you want? Overcrowding, other? Any particular strengths ( kids interests are likely to be econ, physics, neuroscience, politics, public policy).
  2. Area: Main campus. Anything you think a prospective student should know? We can look at Google maps and more but thinking more along the lines of where is the campus related to the city and is it self contained/or not.
  3. Students: Are students intellectual and love learning? Pre-professional? Other? Someone mentioned on CC that many Emory students wanted to go elsewhere. Is that common?
  4. Anything special that puts Emory as a #1 choice. This was honestly a last minute application so any special programs would be helpful.
  5. Financial: Not a consideration.
    Thanks so much for any insight.
1 Like

(edit bc I accidentally submitted before finishing)

• Undecided major: likely something along the lines of both STEM and humanities. Are there any considerations like difficulty getting into courses you want? Overcrowding, other? Any particular strengths ( kids interests are likely to be econ, physics, neuroscience, politics, public policy).
    Emory’s biggest academic focus is on their liberal arts education (i.e. they love having students explore lots of different areas of interest). You’ll see lots of unusual double majors, minors, etc. Registration is always difficult, but it gets easier over time, and usually they reserve seats for first-years or you can email a professor to get into a class. I would not say it’s overcrowded- the median class size is 25 with a few larger intro lecture classes. Humanities classes are rarely over 25. Lots of small seminars (like 10 people) Lots of premeds and business school I would say.
    Note: something I would recommend looking into is the interdisciplinary studies major (and if you can get in, specifically the IDEAS fellowship because that offers really incredible opportunities to merge two different fields). Students might combine neuroscience with political science to study the biological process behind political decision making and that’s their specialization, for example.
  • Area: Main campus. Anything you think a prospective student should know?
    -absolutely gorgeous campus. The original architect actually modeled it with Italian renaissance style because it reminded him of Italian countryside for some reason haha! very close to the city but there’s def an emory bubble so if you don’t want to be in the city all the time, no obligations because it’s very peaceful. that said, it’s easy to go to atl if you want, and there’s free shuttles to GA tech if you’re looking to get closer to midtown.
  • Students: Are students intellectual and love learning? Pre-professional? Other?
  • I would say both! There’s lots of pre-prof students esp in bschool, but everyone I’ve met has been incredibly passionate in their field of study and beyond :)) As for students going elsewhere, I will say that can be the sentiment if that student chose Emory only because it’s the highest ranked school they got into. If you actually chose it because you think it’s a good fit and you like it, I’ve never seen anyone want to leave. And that goes for any school- don’t choose because of prestige. I picked Emory over a ‘higher ranked school’ and I’ve fallen in love with this school every day I’ve been here, again and again. :))
  • Anything special that puts [Emory]
  • I would say the people here. Professors are incredibly caring and will reach out to you if they see you struggling. I’ve had classes where I’ve talked to professors for hours after the class is over about their research (which btw research is so easy to get involved in if you’re looking) or just life in general. Everyone wants everyone else to succeed, and it’s genuinely so incredible of an environment to be in. Look into the IDEAS fellowship maybe, but honestly I would sign up for an admitted student panel and listen to some students talk about their experiences because that would give you the best idea of the type of person that Emory is right for :slight_smile:
2 Likes

@boba.tea Thanks so much for your thoughtful analysis. If you are a typical Emory student then it seems like a great place. Agree that fit is key. And my kid chose it especially for the cross-pollination among various fields. The admitted student panels and other info has been helpful also but this was spot on.