Emory Waitlist

DS was accepted to WUSTL but waitlisted at Emory. He prefers Emory (for many reasons). Should he call Emory to let them know he was accepted to WUSTL and will attend Emory if moved from the waitlist?

1 Like

If he does so, they will congratulate him and wish him the very best of success at WUSTL

6 Likes

Let’s be honest, Emory is no different than other privates - where a wait list is a rejection but it’s a hedge for the school. While they didn’t put out last year’s CDS yet, if you look two years ago they accepted 4364 kids.,

So why did they offer a Wait List spot to 6,539 - more than they even accepted and nearly 20% of all applicants.

I know some kids think being on a wait list means the school must think they’re great.

It’s rather - the school thinks if we need more revenue, then they could be great. Many WL are need aware.

They did accept 21 that year - and no clue how many last year - but your kid was rejected by Emory. Stay on the WL - but time to move on.

and btw - WUSTL is a powerhouse so congrats on that admission - especially if non-ED.

1 Like

I’ve long thought that the waitlist at many colleges is mostly marketing to future applicants, the sophomores and juniors at the schools attended by those on the waitlist.

Kids with similar stats hear their friend was waitlisted and think “If Julie made the cut last year then I got a shot too” and apply. The thing is Julie didn’t really get in; she was waitlisted and never made it off the list. Colleges love lots of applicants because the more apps they have the more selective they look. So they pass out many more waitlist offers than actual admissions, creating thousands of ambassadors.

Never thought of it that way.