Emphasis of Training at UArts

<p>(Trying to spread the questions by tracyvp)</p>

<p>We are starting to understand that most BFA Musical Theatre programs try very hard to train “triple threat” performers, but in the end, one of the three disciplines tends to emerge as slightly more prominent or emphasized than the others, and there is usually a second, then third.</p>

<p>For current UArts students (or parents, if you know), what would you say is the primary emphasis of your training at UArts?</p>

<p>Also, can you describe the type of training you get in each of the three disciplines? For example, in music, how much time and what sort of training in voice, theory, repertoire, piano, etc. Do you learn both “classical” MT styles as well as contemporary pop styles? When and how?</p>

<p>For acting, do you explore the different approaches, and in what depth? Do you train with the acting BFA’s or separately? Do you get a lot of straight acting training, or is most of the acting training in the context of “acting the song?”</p>

<p>In dance, can more advanced dancers take classes with the Dance majors? How much time is devoted to “specialty” dance like tap, partnering, hip hop, etc?</p>

<p>Sometimes different students have different experiences, so it would be awesome to hear from several!!</p>

<p>What follows is a link to UArts MT curriculum showing the classes taken each semester. [Program:</a> Musical Theater - Bachelor of Fine Arts - The University of the Arts - Acalog ACMS?](<a href=“Program: Musical Theater - Bachelor of Fine Arts - The University of the Arts - Acalog ACMS™”>Program: Musical Theater - Bachelor of Fine Arts - The University of the Arts - Acalog ACMS™) The credit hours are misleading in that they understate the actual time spent in class for many courses. Freshman can actually anticipate having about 26 hours of class each semester and the pattern holds true for subsequent years. For example, while acting is listed as 3 credits, students actually spend about 6 hours per week in acting studio. Dance is listed as .5 credits but each course is really 1.5 hours per week. Other classes suffer the same disparity between listed credits and actual class time. The website used to list the class hours in addition to credits but this information was overlooked when the website was redesigned.</p>

<p>UArts has a strong emphasis on acting both in straight acting as well as acting the song. MT students take core acting studio classes with the BFA acting majors 7 out of 8 semesters. The acting component is Meisner based although other acting styles are also taught. One of the full time acting teachers sophomores have studied directly under Meisner and one was of his T/A’s and was ultimately approved by Meisner to teach the technique independently so the Meisner experience is about as authentic and true to the “original” as it gets. In addition to straight acting, there is a strong emphasis on acting the song. Acting is at the core of the MT program.</p>

<p>There is also, of course. a heavy emphasis on voice and MT repertory. Students receive private voice lessons and separate coaching sessions weekly. There are also group MT performance classes and masters classes. Again, the listed credits often under state the actual classes hours.</p>

<p>Of the 3 disciplines, dance has the fewest mandated hours each semester. Depending on the semester, 3-4.5 hours of time in mandated dance classes are required each week spread between ballet, jazz, tap and partnering depending on the semester. In addition, students who want more dance can drop in on additional MT dance classes and can take dance classes through the school of dance with instructor permission.</p>

<p>Each semester, Acting and MT students audition for the same shows and MT students are often cast in straight dramas. This, of course, enhances the acting training MT students receive.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Thank you Michael! My D is not an advanced dancer, but is there dance leveling where a student can by-pass Beginning Ballet for example? Or are all MTs expected to follow that schedule to ensure uniform understandings? (Sorry if the answer to this is posted elsewhere.)</p>

<p>I’m also wondering if there are joint sessions with voice teachers and vocal coaches and students or are they always separate?</p>

<p>Entering freshman can get placed in a more advanced dance class and jump the progression. For example, my daughter was placed in intermediate ballet and jazz her first semester and in her sophomore year was placed in advanced ballet and jazz where she remained for her tenure as a student. Even though she topped out in the sequencing early on, she continued to benefit from the classes. She also took some dance classes through the school of dance. There were other MT students we knew who were very serious accomplished dancers who regularly took multiple dance classes through the school of dance. There are plenty of opportunities to accelerate and supplement the dance track so even though the dance component is a smaller part of the normal curriculum than acting and voice/vocal performance, students who so desire can find ways to enhance their dance training.</p>

<p>The individual voice lessons and vocal coaching are separate. However, the MT Performance classes, MT Repertory classes and masters classes routinely combine elements of both voice technique, song selection and presentation but in a group setting. My recollection is that for some of these classes, the vocal coaching instructors serve as the accompanist.</p>

<p>Thank you Michael for your great insight into UArts. My D has been accepted into the musical theatre program and your posts have helped us decide that this is a school we want to visit and learn more about. Because of her high school theatre schedule we aren’t able to visit until mid April. I’m a little worried that going so late will hurt her chances of getting in a dorm. Does anyone know how that works?</p>

<p>Also, do casting directors, broadway professionals come to the school to work with the students? I’ve heard this happens at others schools that are in close proximity to NYC. This seems like a big advantage to start making those connections while in college.</p>

<p>BZMom1, don’t sweat the housing. All freshmen are guaranteed dorm housing. Assuming things are done the same as this year as in the past, the admissions packet have a housing registration form which must be filled out and returned with a deposit. You get to rank prioritize which dorms and what kind of configuration you prefer. The later you return tHe form, the more limited the available choices might be but I don’t see that as much of a big deal since most students get 2 person studios anyway because they are in the greatest supply. It used to be that differences in kitchen configurations mattered but now there is a mandatory meal plan for all dorm residents and the dining facility in the Terra building is brand new and looks great. I’ve also heard that the kitchens in the dorms have been removed but haven’t verified that. In addition, the air conditioning in the Juniper dorm used to make that highly desirable for those lucky few freshmen who could get a spot in the dorm used generally for grad students but now the other dorms have all been equipped with window air conditioners so that’s become a somewhat moot issue.</p>

<p>Michael - that’s great to hear.</p>

<p>Do you have any insight in the question I asked about broadway professionals working with the students?</p>

<p>Thanks again Michael, your responses are always so helpful. As BZMom1 wrote, your posts have helped us see UArts much more clearly . . . I know you don’t work for them, but an honorary degree or something of the sort is in order! :0)</p>

<p>BZMom1 : Many, if not most, of the professors and instructors have active professional careers outside of teaching, regionally and in NYC. Forest McClendan, one of the MT adjunct professors, was recently nominated for a Tony for Scottsboro Boys. The school has a NYC showcase for which auditions are run at the school by a NYC casting director and which then involves a day of auditioning and a day of masters classes in NYC. But I would not characterize the program as routinely providing contact and instruction with “Broadway” performers or casting directors. There are several required courses taught by very accomplished and recognized regional performers and music directors, including Barrymore Award winners.</p>

<p>kksmom5, I had to chuckle when I read your comment. I’ll send you a PM explaining.</p>

<p>Michael - Thank you again for your thoughts.</p>

<p>Just joining in on this discussion! Great information about U Arts. My daughter has been accepted in to the BFA MT program. We are planning a visit to the school in April, along with a few schools in Boston as well. Are you currently a student at U Arts? I have a few questions, wondering if you or anyone else on this thread could answer them: </p>

<p>How big is the “campus”? It is located right downtown Philly. Just wondering what the areas is like.<br>
How are the performance opportunities for MT students? Do they all get to audition for shows right away as a freshman? Or, must they wait?<br>
How strong is the dance training? Are MT students required to take dance per the BFA curriculum? Or - are additional dance classes available? Is tap available?<br>
Can they minor in something, like dance?<br>
How would you describe the culture? Are students supportive or is it more of a competitive environment?<br>
How supportive are the faculty? </p>

<p>Just a few questions…appreciate any insights from you or anyone else who has thoughts? Thanks!</p>

<p>U Arts website also has some photos of buildings. Make sure you look at the Merriam Theater - UArts owns this beautiful theater. I just saw “Chicago” there (their spring main stage show which was wonderful) and it is a great facility. They also have the Arts Bank theater up the street which I believe houses 2 theaters. There are more theaters in their campus buildings which are located along the Avenue of the Arts in Center City. This is a wonderful area of theaters, schools, restaurants, stores and shops - a busy, high energy broad street (also actually called “Broad St.”). There are dorms in several locations near the school and lots of apartments for students who move out of dorms after freshman year. “Campus” is not a small area but consists of high rise buildings and other buildings. The Terra Bldg. is where MT students have most of their classes. It is a city area so has usual “city” feel - for a big city. But with added vibe of lots of theaters and upscale parts too. </p>

<p>Performance opportunities seem abundant. If you go on website to Theater page you can find this year’s productions. From viewpoint of a parent I think the kids fit in an amazing amount of performing on top of class room work. </p>

<p>Next year’s Fall lineup includes The Walls (Dillman), Princess ida (G & S), A Free Man of color (Guare), Spoon River anthology (Masters), Stage Door (Ferber and Kaufman), She Loves Me (Stein, Bock, Harnick). Lay me Down Justin Timberlake, and Junior Directing 1 Acts. Spring includes New Play Festival, Senior Playwriting and Directing Projects, Arabian Nights (zimmerman), Legally Blonde (hach, O’Keefe & Benjamin), Such Sweet Thunder (Ellington), Time Machinge, and Time and the Conways (Priestly). There are other performing opportunities too like cabarets for instance. You are not cast until Sophomore year but do audition end of freshman year. Freshmen do have performance opps tho. D has done 3 mainstage musicals and 1 drama and has had lots of 15 hour (and more) days fitting it all in. It seems like the performances are such a great learning opportunity in addition to all the great teaching in classes. </p>

<p>Dance training in MT has been ok for my daughter (who was a very good dancer coming in to the program) and she has basically been taking higher level classes right since the beginning when possible. It is also possible (with permission I believe) to take classes in the dance department (which is a phenomenal department). this year my D who is a Junior felt really good about the dance she was able to do in “Chicago” choreographed by Scott Jovovich who is a major dancer. Also loved working with Rich Stoppleworth, Patty Raine, Gene Terruso as directors. Very top notch all. </p>

<p>Tap is available tho my D seems to do more Jazz and Ballet (and this year Partnering). MT students must take dance I think. </p>

<p>The culture has been hugely supportive - of course they do compete for roles but seem to genuinely support whoever is cast. Teachers and students have been supportive. Faculty are dedicated and from what we have seen really “there” for the students. My kiddo was seriously injured in sophomore year and they could not have been more supportive as she recovered. </p>

<p>There are so many super talented kids that naturally there is competition but it seems to me that is a kind of preparation for post grad experiences to come. My D was used to competing in a city wide theater scene at home so competition the norm for her. Probably for you too! </p>

<p>MichaelNKat is our expert (thank you Michael!) on theater at UArts so find his posts throughout threads for more information and I bow to his expertise. These have been my D’s experiences - from her mom’s standpoint. She loves (and we love) UArts and her growth has been amazing and beautiful to watch. Also - want to add - the kids are terrific. What a talented and smart and fun bunch of students. They seem to manage to have some social life while keeping up a daunting schedule but really need to stay strong and focused. And they do!</p>

<p>Hope this helps. It’s from a parent’s viewpoint but I know she could not be happier with a school than she is at U Arts.</p>

<p>Oregon MT Mom…
Thanks for the detailed response - so very helpful!!! We are visiting U Arts this month and get to observe several classes. Looking forward to visiting, seeing the area, meeting some faculty and just getting a better feel of the school!! Appreciate your insights!</p>

<p>oregon mt mom has provided great information and I will try to augment her post with some additional comments. UArts’ “campus” consists of a number of buildings along a 5 block stretch of Broad St (Avenue of the Arts) between Walnut St and South St. The school’s buildings are interspersed with major professional performing arts venues, office buildings and retail stores and restaurants. UArts also has 4 dorm buildings located a block or so east and west of Broad St at various points along the north-south corridor that comprises Avenue of the Arts.</p>

<p>The area in which the school is located is a very vibrant and safe area. During weekdays, the streets are filled with business and working people, professionals young and old, students and visitors to the city. At night, there is an abundance of social and cultural activities ranging from partaking of the arts to casual and more up scale dining. This area of the city is also filled with retail shopping of every conceivable type.</p>

<p>Along Avenue of the Arts, there are: The Prince Music Theater (a half a block west of Broad St), the Academy of Music, The Wilma Theatre, the Merriam Theatre (an 1800 seat proscenium theatre owned by UArts as mentioned by oregon mt mom), the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts and the Suzanne Roberts Theatre. These venues are homes to touring Broadway shows, local professional productions of musicals and dramas, productions of original works, the Pennsylvania Ballet, Opera Company of Philadelphia, Philly Pops with Peter Nero, Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Orchestra. A few blocks east of Broad St on Walnut is the Walnut St Theatre which does its own productions of dramas, comedies and musicals on it main stage and smaller productions in its 3rd floor black box. On the 5th floor is another black box used by a broad variety of small theatre companies. A few blocks further east and north is the Arden Theatre which also mounts its own productions of broad variety of musicals and dramas. All of these venues have their own websites so you can pretty readily get a full picture of the productions they do. In addition, there are at least a dozen or more smaller theatres spread throughout the center city area, each providing space for resident companies or for use by others. Take a look at the web site for the Theatre Alliance of Philadelphia to get a handle on the array of theatre companies that populate the area. All of this is within 5-20 minutes walking distance from all of the UArts dorms.</p>

<p>UArts adds its own performance spaces to the list. In the Terra Building (where MT freshman spend most of their time) there is a state of the art black box studio theatre that’s just a few years old as well as a concert hall built at the same time. heading south, there is the above mentioned Merriam which is used for some of the schools mainstage productions. There is a performance auditorium and black box at the Gershman Y and a main stage and recently refurbished cabaret theatre at the Arts Bank located at the southern end of the “campus” at South St.</p>

<p>Typically, UArts puts on about 8 productions per semester as part of its season. There are also student productions and often outside productions directed or written by faculty utilizing UArts’ spaces. Both acting and MT students audition for all of the departmental productions which are directed by faculty and from time to time outside professionals. Students who are not cast in departmental shows must audition for student productions. Students are also frequently used in faculty productions and get to work with outside actors. Auditions occur at the end of each semester for the following semester. Freshmen must start auditioning for the spring shows and have the option to participate in fill in auditions in the fall when spots open up in fall shows for various reasons.</p>

<p>The MT curriculum at UArts puts a heavy emphasis on acting, both straight acting and acting the song. Acting and MT majors take the same core acting studios together for 7 semesters. Acting majors take other specialty classes while MT majors take MT voice, repertory and performance classes which include acting the song. Dance is allocated less time in the mandated curriculum than acting and voice/MT and you could characterize the curriculum as a double major in acting and MT voice/performance with a minor in dance. However, MT students must take specified dance classes 6 semesters and include a movement elective each semester of the senior year. The dance component is focused on ballet and jazz with tap and partnering also required in some semesters. depending on the year, students must take 3-4.5 hours of dance per week but students can drop in on additional MT dance classes at will and can take more advanced dance classes through the school of dance with instructor permission. My daughter did that with a couple of classes and we know MT students who took multiple dance classes through the school of dance.</p>

<p>The overiding atmosphere and culture of the department is very supportive among and between students and faculty. Students attend each others’ shows and very vocally support those in the cast. While students compete with each other for casting, more than once my daughter and her close friends worked with each other preparing for call backs they had in common. Many of the faculty go above and beyond class room support for students, providing them with opportunities outside of depaertment endeavors and providing guidance regarding outside opportunities and related preparation. My daughter spent a lot of time in the pit at professional productions where UArts faculty were the Music Directors. As a freshman, she was invited to be part of an ensemble singing with the leads of an Equity production of Les Mis at a fund raiser for the theatre staging the show. She was invited to be the principal female opposite a UArts’ acting professor in a staged reading of an original play written by another UArts professor with more than 125 published plays to his credits and in which she worked side by side with outside professional actors playing other roles. During her last semester, one of her instructors, a very prolific working actor in musicals, and his wife, a well known local director, offered to review my daughter’s book and help her restructure it for post graduate auditions.</p>

<p>At the end of the day, almost a year after graduating, my daughter is very pleases with the experience she had at UArts and life as a student in Philadelphia.</p>