EngE 1114 and 1104

<p>Can EngE 1104 be swapped for 1114 or vice versa? I've heard that EngE 1104 is a much better class and that is more enjoyable to be in than 1114. I haven't decided on what major I want to pursue, but I'm thinking CS, CpE, AE, or ME. I know that is not narrowed down very far, but I know that 2 of those majors fall under 1104 and the other 2 fall under 1114. What should I do if I am unsure of what engineering I want to do? Also for those who have taken these classes, could you give me some insight on what you do?</p>

<p>Do you think I would be overloading myself if I did this to my schedule:</p>

<p>ENGE 1104 - Exploration of the Digital Future
Monday - 8:00 - 8:50
Thursday - 4:00 - 5:50
Instructor: TD Walkers</p>

<p>ENGL 1106 - Freshman English
Tuesday/Thursday - 12:30 - 1:45
Instructor: Michael S. Smith</p>

<p>MATH 1206 - Calculus II (Empo Test Version)
Tuesday/Thursday - 11:00 - 12:15
Instructor: Jessica Schmale</p>

<p>MATH 1224 - Vector Geometry
Monday - 4:00 - 5:15
Tuesday - 4:00 - 4:50
Instructor: Heath D. Hart</p>

<p>PHYS 2305 Lab - Foundations of Physics I
Wednesday - 4:40 - 6:30
Instructor: Mark Pitt</p>

<p>PHYS 2305 Lecture - Foundations of Physics I
Tuesday/Thursday - 8:00 - 9:15
Wednesday - 2:30 - 3:20
Instructor - Matthew Joyce (I had Chang, but he switched to ESM classes.)</p>

<p>REG 9984 - Free Time
Thursday - 7:00 - 9:50
Instructor - TBA</p>

<p>CS 1114 - Intro to Software Design
Monday/Wednesday - 11:15 - 12:05
Friday - 8:00 - 10:00
Instructor - SH Edwards</p>

<p>I haven’t added ENGE 1104 or CS 1114 yet. I’m thinking about a CS major at VT. I just want to know what you all think about this schedule. It seems like a lot to me.</p>

<p>Vector Geometry is a joke if you’ve got a solid background in Trig. Having Calc II with empo tests makes it much, much easier also. That looks like a pretty typical engineering schedule to me anyway.</p>

<p>If you think a typical student can handle 7 classes and complete them successfully, as in maintaining at least a 2.3 GPA, I’ll go ahead and switch it. Also I would like to know if computer science is what is involved with this type of stuff:</p>

<p>[Engineering</a> Puzzles | Facebook](<a href=“Redirecting...”>Redirecting...)</p>

<p>Not that I want to work at FaceBook, even though it would be awesome, I want to be involved with writing complex codes that make things work. I want to design software and program applications to do what I want them to do. Kind of like Google, Apple, and Microsoft do with their operating systems, search engines, etc. I don’t want to build the hardware, I want to program the hardware to work.</p>

<p>A typical student? No. A typical VT engineer? Hopefully.</p>

<p>Like I said, Vector shouldn’t take that much time, and neither should the physics lab. I never took any CS classes so I can’t speak to that. The real toss-ups are physics (because I don’t know who that professor is) and English because every professor teaches that class completely differently.</p>

<p>I guess the question is, if you drop something will it put you behind? Don’t plan on summer classes because you need that time for internships. It certainly won’t be easy but for people that plan on graduating in 4 years it is common.</p>

<p>The physics professor is pretty much rated as the best physics professor besides Chang. I also think Chang had a little bit to do with that since he couldn’t teach it due to ESM courses. He knew the engineering students would be angry, since students like me based their entire schedule around making sure we got Chang for physics. </p>

<p>From the reviews I have read, my english teacher is a complete nature nut. Like a hippie type guy. He believes the government is out to screw everyone over. All of the papers in his class are based around technology ruining America and government conspiracies. I will probably read a few novels and type some papers up. I’m not expecting anything too difficult with his class.</p>

<p>What about EngE 1104? Do you know anything about it? The difference between it and 1114? Also do you know how difficult C++ programming is because I’m pretty sure I’ll have that in the CS/EngE course(s).</p>

<p>No clue on either count, I took the ‘standard’ engineering classes.</p>

<p>You need to take 1104 if you’re EE, CS, CpE, and a few others. If you’re mechanical, aerospace, ocean, etc…you have to take 1114. You’re right that 1104 is easier and has far less work; no real homeworks and the final is a joke (if you do the questions)</p>

<p>Neither class is hard…it’s freshman level stuff. They’re not meant to be difficult. As far as C++, I took ECE 1574 and thought it was pretty easy. It depends on how much programming you’ve done before (not necessarily in C++ even) but you can still pick it up pretty quick if you’ve never coded. If it’s in the graduation checksheet for your major and year, you can’t avoid it.</p>

<p>There are students who take 30+ credits a SEMESTSER and get all As. You’re the only person who knows what you’re capable of, and nobody’s going to make you do the work. If you think you can push yourself and stay focused, by all means go for it. Loading up now will cut down on any need to spend time on classes during the summer and it’ll lighten your load in your later years when the classes are “actually” hard.</p>

<p>30+ credits a semester! That’s crazy. How is that even possible? They must be really disciplined.</p>

<p>30+ is really only possible if you’re A) An absolute prodigy with no life, or B) doing a LOT of ‘research for credit.’ I doubt the school would even approve 30 credits of actual classes.</p>

<p>All of the intro CS classes are very easy. They shouldn’t give you any trouble.</p>

<p>As far as EngE 1104/1114, I’m pretty sure they’re interchangeable. They’re just meant as a jump start into working with breadboards/CAD. Check with your advisor if you’re not sure.</p>

<p>Those Facebook puzzles are a good indication of the kind of thing you learn in an undergraduate algorithms course. Computer Science is an extremely broad field.</p>