Engineering Academies

Same here @2018engmom; checked and no decision!

I spoke with John Buchanan who is the director of the engineering academy program at A&M. He told me that admission decisions should start rolling out this Thursday and to check AIS. He was very helpful.

@2018engmom @tad1985 6 tabs this morning. AIS should update this afternoon with official word. looks like decisions rolling out today!

@sdp3199 Blinn has posted information on the new Mill Creek Residence Hall. This is the Hall that academy students will live in. http://www.blinn.edu/housing/mill-creek-residence-hall.html

We just checked AIS and my son was accepted into the Blinn Brenham Engineering Academy. Good Luck to all who have applied.

My son was initially placed at the College Park apartments but Housing said once the Engineering Academy admissions were done, Ms.Hermes would contact them to move the students to the new housing.

Thank you for this link.:slight_smile: this saved me time looking for it. I hope our kids get to meet!

Congratulations to Academy students and families! This will be an outstanding year ahead.
I tried again to get my son to consider going to Brenham, and I wish he had given it the hard look that a more mature, more long sighted person would have. So I am a little wistful watching you all plan for the coming year. May each new students find the way ahead.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg did your son settle on Galveston?

He has his mind set on Galveston, @trinley.
We are continuing to try to get him ready to go. As you know, he has a wild streak and got enough extra attention this semester, with school personnel talking with him and such, that we hope he is learning to exercise more accountability and self control. It may be a bumpy year for us. I hope smooth sailing for the Brenham cohort.

@trinley or any Brenham Academy student/parent: What courses did you/your student sign up for? I am trying to see how the courses are meshing with the newly redesigned TAMU intro engineering courses, such as ENGR 102.

@MomHopesNxtGenAg My son is taking a total of 13 hours. Chem 1409 (chem for engineers); Math 2413 (Calculus 1); and SOCI 1301 (intro to Sociology) in addition to the ENGR 102. We really had no choices other than Sociology.

Thank you, @trinley. Got it. Did your son have to take A&M’s MPE?

@MomHopesNxtGenAg No, but he did have to take the Blinn equivalent.

I have a question. My dear rising 12th grade nephew wants to apply to UT Austin, A&M and UNT through apply Texas. He is thinking CS. But I can’t seem to get through to him. I have told him although he is in the top 2-3% of his class, he has a SAT around
approx 1250-1270. And no EC for CS. He will not get into UT for CS, but what about A&M and Blinn? He lives 15 mins for UNT and I think that would be the best for him. I think he just finished precal in 11th and did "preAP physics but not AP physics 1 or 2. Last I talked to him he did not want to take AP calc AB because he is scared it will drop his rank. Advice?

I would strongly advise him to take ap calc. He will be applying to the schools before the first semester grades come out for senior year so his rank is already set in stone. He will probably want to retake calc once he gets to college but having had it in high school will help as many of the kids in his classes will have already seen the material before as well.

I agree that he should take the calculus class. As has been said, it will not affect his rank, and exposure to material is priceless. It will help him later when he takes calculus in college, when the grade really does matter. Even if it did affect his rank of record, taking the class is still the right thing to do. Otherwise, he might not be a credible candidate for engineering admission. At some point, they need to learn to rise to the occasion. Usually, they do!

Advise him to study for and retake the SAT early, early this fall. He may be able to improve his score by 50 to 100 points or more. Every 10 pts is significant. Also, he might look at UT-Dallas, a powerhouse in CS as well.

SAT given 8/25.

Thank you guys! I can’t get him on board to retake SAT (and actually prepare for it so it raises score). I will talk to him again about taking AP calc AB in senior year. So frustrating because I can see him really struggling once he gets to college. He knows nothing about CS except one can earn a decent living. He is a marching band and active in his church in a small town north of Denton. A really good kid but does not understand if he would put some effort into SAT prep what he could do. Since A&M is holistic admit for engineering. would he likely get the Blinn option (I really think Binn would be better for him.