Engineering Academies

@Aggies85 hi, just curious how long it took for your daughter to get a decision for Blinn Brenham Engineering Academy?

@TXRunningMom Thank you for your question. Yes, your son can apply to both Texas A&M College Station, through the ApplyTexas application, as well as submit an application to the Engineering Academy at Blinn-Brenham. The TAMU application for the remote Academies open up in the Spring each year (January 1 – June 30). https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/academies/blinn-brenham/securing-your-admission.html this link provides step-by-step instruction of how you can apply directly to the Engineering Academy. The Blinn-Brenham Academy is a cohort of about 100 students who have the opportunity to live in a living-learning environment.

@TAMUEngAcademies , thank you so much for this information! Could we come for a tour and talk with an advisor sometime?

@luvTX45 My understanding is Ashley reviews the Blinn applications every Tuesday. If you are approved by Blinn Brenham, then she forwards a link to apply to A&M. A&M approval is what took the longest. I think we were lucky and were in the first wave. Ashley had told us that A&M planned to do a review early March so we rushed her SAT scores to Blinn Brenham. I think we submitted end of Feb to A&M and heard back on 3/21. My understanding from last year comments is that a lot heard back mid-April.

@trinley thanks for the information. Hopefully we will get to see the dorm over the summer to take some measurements. My daughter is excited about the private room and the dorm in general!

@luvTX45 correction - we submitted mid-Feb to A&M.

My son was accepted to Blinn-Brenham Engineering Academy, and Galveston. We originally accepted Galveston, but know we have accepted the Engineering Academy offer in the TAMU AIS. We did not want to remove him from Galveston we got the next steps for the Academy. What happens next? Who do we hear from Blinn or TAMU?

My son has also been accepted to the TAMU Engineering Academy at Blinn Brenham. I have heard that many students leave on the weekends and there is not much to do. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true and if it is the same for the academy students. I would prefer that my son bond with the other students in the program by attending the home football games and staying on campus during the weekends to focus on getting good grades. I am concerned he will want to come home if the majority of the students leave on the weekends. Do any parents have knowledge of what the experience is like on the weekends in Brenham?

@jrbjel I have only been on the Blinn campus once, on a Saturday, for an FFA competition. I know Blinn does have sports-at least I know they have softball, so I assume they have a baseball team? Not gonna lie, there’s not a whole lot to do in Brenham. I bet there’s a list of student activities on their website?

@Futureaggiemom19 - my daughter has accepted Galveston but not signed up for an NSO. She is 99% certain she is doing the Brenham-Blinn engineering academy, though. We are keeping the Galveston option up until 5/1 in case something happens. We have received detail steps via email from both Blinn-Brenham and A&M. This week she also received her banner from A&M and a welcome letter. She also received an email from A&M today listing out the A&M steps - which include NSO and laptop requirements. Basically I think there are two orientation type things to sign up for and the math placement test. The math placement test has to be completed prior to the Blinn course sign up. I think my daughter chose the early June session and then the A&M NSO is in July . Ashley said the math test is not the same at A&Ms - not sure what that means. She told my daughter to use Khan academy to brush up on Algebra and Trig. My daughter also plans to go ahead and study the A&Ms MPE practice tests as well.

A couple of comments on life in Brenham and one additional thing to consider if you are deciding between the Academy in Brenham and Galveston. Not much to do in Brenham and only one dinning option on campus. My son says it gets a little old eating at the same place but said the food was alright. Not much to do in Brenham on weekends but he spends time studying which is a good thing (less distractions). He went to most football games in the fall and just went to an A&M baseball game Sunday. you do develop relationships in the dorm and in the classes. Don’t worry, your young college student will find their way. The engineering students pretty much hang together as they are all focussed on the same goal. We live in Austin and he comes home every three weeks or so to recharge his batteries.

There is a new rec center on campus but it is small. Blinn does have a football team, basketball team and baseball team.

One key difference of academy vs Galveston to keep in mind: If you plan to to transition after 2 semesters you MUST complete the entire calculus sequence at Blinn before transitioning to CS. most of the majors require Cal 1-3. which means, if you start your freshman year in cal 1, then take cal 2 in the Spring, you must take cal 3 the first summer term in Brenham in order to transition the following fall. otherwise, you must take cal 3 the Fall of your sophisticating year. Most majors require cal 3, a few do not.

HI. Just a warning. My daughter has been accepted into the Blinn Brenham Engineering Academy and Galveston. Last weekend my daughter signed up for NSO for Blinn-Brenham/A&M. TOday her AIS shows Galveston as “My App Is Cancelled/Withdrawn”. So if you are considering both, you might want to be careful. I thought we had another month to decide on both. I understand this happening, but it was a surprise as I thought we could carry both until close to registration.

@Aggies85 I assume NSO is the Blinn/Brenham version of TAMU NSC? If so, when you apply for NSC, you are committing to TAMU. By signing up for NSO, she committed to Blinn/Brenham, and the system most likely automatically removed her from Galveston.

@Aggies85
Are you meaning Blinn Bryan Engineering Academy, which is an admission decision, as is Galveston or are you actually meaning Blinn Brenham Engineering Academy, which is NOT an A&M admission decision but an A&M engineering academy that is applied to directly?

There are always limited spots for pathway admission decision and once they reach capacity with accepted decisions, they are no longer available.

Did her AIS say anything about spots being limited prior to the other day when she tried to accept the academy decision?

I am talking about Blinn-Brenham. She applied directly to the Engineering academy at Blinn-Brenham and then later to A&M for the Engineering part after Blinn-Brenham accepted her. A&M accepted her into the engineering academy at Blinn-Brenham about a month ago. She has (or was) accepted into Galveston as well. We accepted the Galveston offer but did not sign up for an NSC. After the Galveston acceptance there was no note about spots being limited on AIS. We were told by both Blinn Brenham and A&M that the Galveston and Academy offeres were separate. Another parent had mentioned they carred both up until their NSC. So I was just surprised to see the Galveston offer be withdrawn. I am assuming signing up for the A&M NSO for Blinn-Brenham caused the Galveston offer to be canceled. Or maybe the Galveston spots filled and by us not signing up for an NSC we lost the Galveston spot. I think this is OK for us, but I wanted to mention it to others in case someone else thought they could carry both.

@Aggies85 it is my understanding that you accept an offer, when you sign up for NSC (or NSO). So even tho you say you accepted a Galveston spot, it wasn’t official because you hadn’t done NSC.
May 1 is the deadline-I think-to make decisions, so everyone has to make a decision by then.
Hopefully your daughter is happy with the Blinn Brenham decision!

@Aggies85

I think I have discovered the problem. The Blinn Brenham Engineering Academy web page of the Admissions Process says that there are only 100 spots for incoming students.

While the national deadline for students to accept by May 1, if the college has limited seats, they can fill before that deadline.

https://www.blinn.edu/engineering-academy-brenham/admissions-process.html

Thanks @Thelma2. She is all set for Blinn Brenham Engineering Academy ( and luckily she is OK with this). It was the Galveston offer that was canceled probably due to her not signing up for an NSC (she just accepted the Galveston offer and was waiting to make final choice before signing up for a Galveston NSC).

A&M Engineering Academy parents, if you are on Facebook, search for two groups, Aggie Parents and moms and dads of engineering students. Two great closed parent groups for all things relating to our Aggie students and one-day-to-be full time Aggie students.

@trinley , @Thelma2 , or anyone else with input :slight_smile:
Do you know anything about the Engineering Academy at Austin? Would it have a 100 student cohort limit? Does it have a dorm and dining hall or is it strictly a commuter type experience?