Engineering Academy at Blinn or Different Major and transfer into engineering?

Hello! I was accepted into Texas A&M, but unfortunately, was not given admission in to the Dwight College of Engineering. I was however told I could do the Engineering Academy at Blinn (TEAB), but am not so sure i want to do this option. I am just wondering if anyone knows what my chances would be, if I majored in something else, probably either Physics or Geophysics, at A&M and tried to transfer in to the Dwight College of Engineering after my first semester or maybe 2. I also am going in with 30 college credit hours from dual credit, and the TEAB, says it requires 45 hours. So does anyone know if I were to choose the TEAB path, if I could transfer in to the Dwight College after just one semester at Blinn since I completed the hour requirement? Just wondering y’all’s opinions. Thanks!

I think your chances of transferring into the COE after your first semester as a TAMU physics or geophysics major would be pretty slim, to be perfectly honest. Nothing personal. I don’t have to know the first thing about you to say that, imo, your chances would be slim. It’s possible, I suppose, but not likely at all.

As for your second question, if I understand it correctly, if you choose the TEAB path, and if you have a minimum of one math, one science and one engineering course required for your preferred major(s) and a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 at both institutions, as calculated by Texas A&M, then you can apply for ‘entry to a major’ into a degree-granting program in the College of Engineering as early as your second semester. That’s a lot of “ifs,” I know. It’s called the “early matriculation option,” and this chance to apply is offered to all TEAB students who meet the qualifications I just mentioned.

Oddly enough, I was offered full admission but NOT offered Engineering at Blinn.

As for transferring from physics or geophysics into the COE it depends on your degree, some are more competitive than others, there are also degrees that have VERY few spots. Petro and Mechanical engineering I would say are the most competitive, then there are some degrees like Aerospace Engineering which have a small number of spots, I think the freshman Aerospace class is less than 150 students and then it drops to less than 50 the next year. I would suggest emailing the department inwhich you want to transfer into, that’s what I did for Aerospace.

Another thing, most engineering departments want to see your Calculus and Physics grades, however if you come to TAMU with those already completed they wont be able to see the grade so I would suggest retaking them.

For instance I got a 96 in DC Calculus 1, this is a good grade however the department wont be able to see the grades when I send these credits to TAMU, they’ll just know that I got credit. I’m about 90% sure of this, however I will double check and post again when I get a response.

Overall I think the EAB route is the better option, you’ll have access to the engineering courses that you wouldn’t have in a different major at TAMU.