Engineering Acceptance

<p>Thanks for all the replies, especially CK - i feel a lot better knowing they haven't decided scholarships yet. but they do have a university honors program... the letter they sent me with the application said 05-06 will be the first year for the program and honors students live in Shreve or some building that starts with S.</p>

<p>Applepuppy...you are correct about Purdue Univ. Honors, it is new in '05-06 at Purdue. Went with D to Scholar's day in Nov. or Dec. and they talked about it. What is confusing is that there is also an Eng. Honors program. Eng. Honors is based on SAT/GPA (I think the cutoff is 1360) for students in Eng. school. Purdue Univ. honors will be for students from all schools. Application were sent to top students from each school and cutoff will be different for each school (This was presented in an Eng. session and they said that they had to vary cutoff by school so that Univ. Honors not dominated by Eng. students, since Purdue has a strong eng. school and attracts top students from across US). My daugher received application but has decided not to apply. She decided to go to another school and wants to use the time on scholarship applications (I guess Unv. honors application required 4 essays). Good luck at Purdue, it is a great Eng. school and was a close second for my D (she decided to go to a smaller school).</p>

<p>Accepted to Purdue Engineering, STA 1360, ACT 31, GPA - 4.446 weighted >3.9 unweighted.</p>

<p>Got into the eng. honros college, etc.</p>

<p>Got the academic success award scholarship</p>

<p>Going for M.E.</p>

<p>But this is all pending a NROTC scholarship ( having troubl eont he medial end of it all). If I dont get taht, then it's off to New Mexico Tech for me.</p>

<p>accepted to Purdue 1520 SAT</p>

<p>hey akash, did you get any scholarships from them, if so how were your grades? Also did you apply to GA tech or Illinois?</p>

<p>Yeah I got a 13 K schol-the maximum available for international students</p>

<p>My grades are quite good for an Indian applicant-but I dont know how to convert them to a 4.0 scale</p>

<p>So, how many of will actually attend for sure? Also can anyone tell me the ranking for mechanical and chemical engineering at Purdue?</p>

<p>Purdue Engineering (overall)<br>
8th
Industrial Engineering<br>
2nd
Nuclear Engineering<br>
4th
Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
*<br>
4th
Agricultural and Biological Engineering<br>
5th
Civil Engineering<br>
6th
Mechanical Engineering<br>
7th
Electrical/Electronic Engineering<br>
8th
Computer Engineering<br>
10th
Materials Engineering<br>
12th
Chemical Engineering<br>
13th
Biomedical Engineering
18</p>

<p>As of today, I'm going to be attending purdue for sure. Had to get a medical waiver for a NROTC scholarship, but it went through finally.</p>

<p>As for MECH-E... When I visited and checked out some of the labs and the overall engineering program, I must say I was impressed immensly.</p>

<p>Right now it's pretty unlikely that my S will attend Purdue. He's not big on the size and there hasn't been any merit aid offered yet. If he decides to go big, he'll probably go to UIUC since it's only a few $k more.</p>

<p>Macattak,
I find your statement interesting. Your S is "unlikely to" attend Purdue because he did not receive any merit aid, but will attend UIUC because it is only a "few $k" more. My best guess is that excluding merit aid, UIUC will cost about $15K/yr more, since you live in Indiana. I guess in my D college decision, that's more than a "few $k" more, especially when you add up 4 years and allow for 6-10% tuition inflation. There has to be more to the story than you listed.</p>

<p>UIUC awarded 2 scholarships from the engineering dept. and a school wide scholarship to bring the cost down to a manageable level. CU is closer and easier to get to than W Lafayette, S likes the campus better, UIUC is closer to other relatives, yadda, yadda. All of those factors make it worth a few $k more/yr. </p>

<p>I find it a bit irritating that our state U didn't give any aid when an out of state public school came up with money. Maybe he'll get a letter from Lily and change our minds?</p>

<p>What kind of scores did he get? </p>

<p>As best I know, the cut off for Purdues main merit scholarship (academic success award) was 1360/31 when I applied. Now its 1400/32. Its still required to be in teh top 5% of their high-school class as well.</p>

<p>Then theres the indian scholar deal, which does apply to you (I live in New Mexico) but thats mostly reserved for NMSC finalists.</p>

<p>So it really depends on how well your son scored</p>

<p>1540, 3.765, but he's 7%. If his school weighted, he'd be in the top 5%. Purdue is his 3-4th choice, so it would have to be a $$ decision. It's not looking that way.</p>

<p>OK, son is going to Purdue! Honors Engineering, learning community, sending in deposit today as he was rejected from ND. 1360 SAT, top 2% of class, Eagle Scout, captain of varsity waterpolo team, Academic All-American swimming.</p>

<p>i am a engineering student that currently attends purdue (freshman year is winding up for me). i can answer some questions you guys may have about the engineering program.</p>

<p>first of all, i did not have very good grades in high school (stemming mainly) from being really lazy freshman and sophmore year. i barely pulled a 3 coming out of hs. however, i did take a lot of AP's and placed out of a lot of classes. i scored a 1520 on my SAT however and got national merit semi (grades weren't high enough for finalist status) and took 9 AP's (national ap scholar). </p>

<p>as for engineering...freshman year isn't really HARD in terms of difficulty, the classes are more busywork than anything else. engineering 106 in my opinion will be a class that you will loathe greatly and doesn't really teach you too much. physics 152, although given the status of a 'weed-out class' is in my opinion, not very hard. i actually placed out of this class, but chose to take it again, and spend almost no time on it at all. rest assured the upper division classes are far more interesting than those offered freshman year (i'm taking upper division math courses). my advice is that you should test out of as many classes as you can (especially chemistry).</p>

<p>although it is true that the majority of students do not fare too well in engineering, it is not impossible to to do well. i actualy know quite a few individuals (including myself) who pulled gpa's above 3.7 first sem without too many sleepless nights...(the sleepless nights aren't because of hmwk...)</p>

<p>I have heard that Purdue is getting more selective each year. This year it's engineering acceptance has dropped to 75% whereas in the past it hovered around 90%. In the next 5-7 years, it will be pretty hard to get into. They are also investing a lot of money in new buildings and its new biomedical engineering program, and the President is trying to increase the name recognition of the university by providing research opportunites for undergrads. All of this adds up to increased selectivity....just giving a heads up for the underclassmen.</p>