Engineering and frateritity

<p>I am going to be majoring in mechanical engineering but I am still very intrested in having a social life. Is it possible to still be in a fraternity and keep your grades up? are certain frats better for this? and if I dont go greek how is the social life for non-greeks?</p>

<p>Most engineers do not pledge so you certainly can have a social life w/o going Greek. That said, if you want to pledge, there are some frats are less time-demanding which (in my opinion) are more “grade friendly.”</p>

<p>Momreads son is in one of those frats.</p>

<p>My son is a freshman mechanical engineering major. He pledged a fraternity last semester while taking 16.5 hours and ended up with only one B. He has all A’s so far this semester. He is in the first year STEM MBA class and acted as a Senate assistant. He even plays intramural sports. I doubt he has ever missed an event or even dinner at the house but you have to be willing to study hard. His fraternity had mandatory study halls 4 days a week last semester for pledges which he really liked but all frats may do that.</p>

<p>i think it is doable for a smart and motivated kid.</p>

<p>What I would recommend is to take the lightest load you can first semester. That is when you pledge and that is the most time consuming. After that, it really shouldn’t impact your studies as long as you are motivated. Fall pledge in later years will require some time, but shouldn’t be a big deal.</p>