Engineering and political science?

I’m admitted to the engineering college and I’m most likely going into industrial. I also want to see if it is possible to double major with political science, since that major is usually coupled with another and I enjoy history/social science courses. For that to work though I’m wondering if I would need to be admitted to the liberal arts college as well? Also, is it even possible for these two majors to double? I’m trying to compare the degree plans and see if the poli sci requirements would fit into the university elective spaces of the eng plan, but really I’d like to know if anyone has ever heard of this being possible.

To be honest if you decide to get an engineering degree it will take a lot of your time. I know some people here cannot graduate in 4 years and usually take 4.5 and 5 years on top of taking summer classes. If you come with a lot of credit hours like over 30+ then it can be considered. Talk to an advisor over email

Nodoubt16. Is it possible? Yes. But it requires you take 10 extra classes in pols and complete a foreign language requirement(Which you won’t have to do if you took 2 years of a language i high school. (not to mention the engineering class requirements)

You do need to be admitted to the liberal arts college as well. But be aware, once you sign up for it, YOU CAN"T TAKE IT BACK. (You don’t need to delcare it until Junior year, just wait)

http://pols.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2015/08/Catalog138-Fall2015ProspStudent.pdf
https://engineering.tamu.edu/media/824206/Modified%20Degree%20Plan-Catalog%20135.pdf

Some classes in engineering (like CSCE 206 and ECEN 215) will transfer as electives to the pols sci degree and the math requirements. But you still need to take 10 extra pols sci electives (not counting the Pols 206 and 207) that WON"T transfer to the engineering degree .

And if you want to get out in 4 years you will need to take 1-2 extra pols classes (in addition to you 15+ hr engineering classes) each semester or take summer classes to meet the requirement(which I don’t advise since it will stop you from getting an internship).

Are you coming in with any AP/IB/ CLEP credit? Because you will want to get credit for (6hr) English 1-2, (6hr) History, (3hr)Visual Arts, (3hr) Social Behavior, and (3-6hr) Pols Sci out of the way fast. Do you have any AP credit for those classes?

If your serious about this, take English 1-2, and Pols 206 - 207 at a CC the summer before you attend. Then you should take pols 349 and 315 (they have pretty high average GPAs so it won’t be a huge burden)at A&M during your first year of engineering and see if you like it enough to put yourself though a double major. Those classes count as electives required for the Pols Sci major in case you choose to do the double major. While it is completely possible, it is alot of hard work for not much benefit (considering how it won’t help you in your future job search)

@nodoubt16 - My son is majoring in aerospace engineering with double minors in German and history. He’s a sophomore and on track to graduate in four years. But, he accepted 48 transfer and AP credits, which gave him a great start in his major and his minors. Without that kind of head start, you are likely looking at five years to graduate, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

My school is very connected to Lonestar being that we have large graduating classes and many students do not get into universities, so I have no shame in taking the poli sci courses over the summer at local college if that could transfer into the following year at TAMU. It would ease the costs and workload of the regular TAMU academic year, and the only transferable credits from high school I have are World Hist AP and US Hist DC. I know internships are very important for engineering, but lonestar has several campuses around Houston so I would hope I could manage them both.

Not just pols Sci, try to get English Comp 1 and 2 too. Because you need to lighten your freshman year load (since you need a good GPA to get admitted into your major) . remember, your still taking Calc 1(4), Physics Mech(4), ENG 111(2), ISEN (1), and Pols ____(3). Just be sure you don’t mind taking 14 hours freshman year. But remember, this is just so you have space to test if you like having a double major.

World History counts as an elective, but I don’t believe it counts toward core curriculum requirements. But its good that you have US history out of the way! (PS, the problem with taking classes at a CC shouldn’t be shame, it should be “how do I pay for a summers worth of classes?”)