Engineering at Blinn

My son just got accepted into the TAMU Engineering program at Blinn. I understand he will be “co-enrolled” at both school, can live at TAMU, do all of the TAMU student activities, etc. My question is about classes. How many classes a semester would he take at Blinn and how many at TAMU? It looks like from the material that it is 2 at Blinn and the rest (3?) at TAMU for the first year or two until he gets into his major program, computer science. Is this correct? Are the Blinn students treated any differently by the other TAMU students or faculty ? Is there a “stigma” attached? I think it sounds like a great option but it’s a bit confusing. Thanks!

Pay attention to the entry-to-a-major process at TAMU engineering.

Note that some majors (probably including computer science) are highly competitive, so the chances of getting into them are unlikely for students who do not meet the automatic admission college GPA of 3.75.

1 Like

First… congrats. Teab is a great offer and pathway!!!
Second… zero stigma whatsoever. Literally all treated the same. No one above anyone else.
Third… max hours at Tamu is 6. The rest at blinn. Typically math science at blinn and engineering and core at Tamu
Fourth… one year typically, not 2 for Teab. Apply ETaM (entry to a major) in spring of freshman year.

I think that covered it…

2 Likes

Not gonna lie I do feel like there is a stigma in my opinion. For example watch this video a TAMU student made.

https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPdkBacfJ/

These next things are anecdotal so take it how you wish but I have heard “Blinndergarten” more than once. Also blinn kind of takes the heat for racism incidents sometimes. For example a video showed a couple of guys saying “white power” and the comments were pushing it on blinn students (It wasn’t clear whether or not the guys in the video attend blinn) I attached a screenshot of a couple of the comments below.

I don’t know about the racism, so my comments are strictly about the blinn stigma educationally.

The term binndergarden has been around since I was in college. Many many years ago. Haven’t heard it since but I’m not on campus. All I know is there are probably 80% of Tamu students that have taken at least one course at blinn during their 4 year period at Tamu. Yes it’s easier because it’s a community college. It’s suppose to be easier. But blinn and Austin community college are pretty solid when it comes to preparing kids for the next level. My son is in a fraternity and they do not tease their brothers who go to blinn or look down on them.

There will always be a few jerks who ruin it for the masses. I’ve also heard UT talk down on Tamu relentlessly about how bad academically we are. It’s rivalry and stupid but it’s everywhere.

4 Likes

@Alexia_A i can comment on this. I have a ‘23 Mays Aggie. Like most on these threads, our high school is a mega large, very competitive high school.

The ‘blinndergarten’ referral is to those straight Blinn students…the ones who put forth little effort in high school, some barely graduating, yet put on TAMU shirts for graduation photos. They say they’re going to A&M, when in reality they’re enrolled at Blinn. They beg ppl for their i.d. to get into football games, join the clubs that accept students from both A&M and Blinn, and they’re living the wannabe Aggie life. Every high school has them, total losers. THOSE are the blinndergaten students.

Drives me crazy TAMU has so many pathways with ‘Blinn’ in the name, because it is confusing.
Very little, if any, stigma associated with those who are TEAM or TEAB. They can live on campus, pledge fraternity & sororities, have sport pass…the only thing a TEAM student can’t do is play a Div1 sport. People rarely know or care if someone is TEAM or TEAB.

We have known a decent number of kids who have gone the blinndergarten route, and most didn’t ever make it into A&M. They spent most of their time at Northgate partying, tailgating before games for a school they didn’t go to, failing out of Blinn.
There are those kids who start out PTA at Blinn, focused and willing to work hard, to transfer in to TAMU…big difference between the two types of students.

So yes, blinndergarten is still very real…but that is NOT referring to TEAM & TEAB. Promise.

4 Likes