Engineering at Galveston program - Ask questions here!

Howdy y’all!

I’m currently a freshman engineering student in the Engineering at Galveston program. Feel free to ask me any questions about teachers/campus life/food/classes.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Anyone is free to ask or answer questions in this thread.

Hi, do most engineering students live in a particular dorm? And which dorms do you think are the best?

Oh YAY! I am so glad you are here to participate and are first hand, to answer questions for newly admitted students and their parents.

Hello! What dorms do you recommend for freshman engineering students?
What professors do you recommend for first semester typical engineering classes?
How would you describe campus life?
Guy / girl ratio on galivston campus?
About How many students in your classes as a freshman ?
How difficult is your course load / hard to maintain 3.5 needed for first engineering choice when transferring to main campus ? Thanks!

@dancingengineer Are you in the general engineering program at Galveston, that will be applying to major this spring or are you an engineering major at Galveston in a marine capacity?

@Thelma2 I’m in the general engineering program at Galveston and am applying to a major this spring.

@dptxag There isn’t a specific dorm for engineers at Galveston. I currently live in Atlantic but I have friends who live in Oceans and the Maritime Academy. Pacific and Atlantic are basically the same dorm. The Maritime Academy is a little far from where your classes will be. Personally, I prefer Atlantic.

@Florida27 There are currently 3 professors who teach Engineering 111 and 112. My personal favorite is Dr. Koola but any of the others are also good. Campus life is different from most colleges. There is only one fraternity and one sorority but we have lots of different clubs here. I don’t know exact numbers but the guy to girl ratio of the entire campus is pretty similar as far as I can tell. In engineering classes, the difference is more noticeable with there being more guys. As far as course work goes, its not easy but its also doable. Your ability to maintain a good GPA is dependent on how much work you’re willing to put in. For some people, the classes are easy and its easy to retain material but for some, its a little more difficult. If you’re willing to put in the studying and homework, a 3.5 is definitely achievable. My advice would be to go to all of your classes even though the teacher doesn’t always take attendance.

@dancingengineer Thank you for the information. We attended the Engineering at Galveston program a couple of weeks ago and my son is most likely going to attend. We may have more questions for you…but in the meantime, good luck with your application to your major!!

Hi. I am trying to get more information on Oceans dorm. Does it have a closet? Can you loft the bed? Thank you!

Howdy @dancingengineer ! So exited to see someone from TAMUG on this board! I have a special favor to ask. If you know anyone who is a Maritime Transportation Major, Maritime Business Major and/or member of the Corps in Galveston, would you encourage them to join CC like you did? My son & I (and I’m sure others) have questions about TAMUG maritime majors that we would love to ask of a current student.