Engineering/Business

<p>I've recently been accepted as a chemical engineer into a&m(class of 2016!!!), but I was just wanting to get some info on how a&m prepares their engineers with a general education in business. Do most students who go into business fields of the oil industries(such as with oil industries like kbr, shell, chevron) start out in chemical engineering and get a dual degree with business? I mean I know it's easy to say that I would just have to go out and get a MBA later on, but to have a better shot at getting into the field of management, would a dual degree from be of any value(for a projected career in the oil industry). Or would a business 'certificate' offered in the undergraduate studies be just enough for this path. Hope somebody gives me some good input because I'm so lost on what degrees to get... thanks, and look forward to becoming an aggie!</p>

<p>I don’t really have anything to help you. I do know that is is extremely difficult to dual major in Business. The Mays Business college doesnt seem to want to give up a slot to someone in a dual major. Hopefully someone else can chime in here who knows something.</p>

<p>ok, so from what I was told, by the head of Electrical Engineering, is that most Engineering Majors looking to go into business, is that they just get a minor in business. This is actually one of the most popular minors for an engineering degree</p>

<p>The most important thing you can do is to show leadership potential on your first job. Conversely, an MBA or business minor isn’t going to induce anyone to promote you into management, unless they think you have the ability and potential. I would focus on leadership development through extracurriculars, then translate that into job performance.</p>