Engineering computer req

<p>Hey, I'm a new student goin into engineering and was wondering what people thought about the tablet PC requirement. Personally I'd rather have a regular laptop because they're more powerful, i also would rather have a bigger screen. Anyone have an opinion on what's best? I was thinkin about the toshiba portege or fujitsu t4210. The website also said something about a new 14'' dual core toshiba, might wait to see what that is. Hope i get some answers. Bye!</p>

<p>just as a side-note, <a href="http://forum.tabletpcreviewspot.com/showthread.php?t=2047%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://forum.tabletpcreviewspot.com/showthread.php?t=2047&lt;/a> gave me an orgasm</p>

<p>Nice but can it run Vista?? It would suck to buy a 2K machine and because it has an integrated video card you can't upgrade to the new OS.</p>

<p>It's not Vista that you really have to worry about running, it's the Aero interface. If your computer isn't exactly top of the line, you can still run the Classic Windows interface (from Windows 95/98/2000)</p>

<p>Many of the new PCs/laptops indicate 'Vista Ready' meaning they have the required graphics, etc. to be able to take full advantage of Vista when t comes out. The Dell 1505 laptop I just purchased for my daughter indicates this. </p>

<p>I never saw much of a point in a tablet PC and they look fragile and traditionally have been more expensive than an equivalent counterpart. Are you saying your school requires a tablet laptop?</p>

<p>VT engineering indeed requires a tablet</p>

<p>the tablet req is total bs. i bet that we'll use it once or twice in the ENGE courses the whole year then it will collect dust. my handwriting is so bad that the damned thing doesnt even recognize my handwriting. it's a stupid requirement that can be handled with a regular laptop with an input slate device or none at all.</p>

<p>the only advantage would be to write equations...but anyone can just make hotkeys for certain math symbols (such as pi) and type the equation just as fast as writing it</p>

<p>all in all...an expense not worth investing in</p>

<p>Windows Vista includes a program that'll let you teach it your handwriting style.</p>

<p>Well, this year VT is requiring a tablet PC. I think it is about a year too early for this technology. They are just becoming usable.
Unfortunately, you cannot buy one right now, either because EVERY vendor is sold out.
The campus bookstore knew exactly how many engineering students were being forced to buy a new computer this summer, but they didn't order enough. They are short by hundreds that "may" be in by the 2nd day of classes. We waited too long to order one so our bad, but at least we didn't buy the Toshiba M4 earlier this summer like hundreds of classmates which is already obsolete.</p>

<p>gttatm:
I cover Virginia Tech for the Roanoke Times. I'm interested in this tablet PC issue (we're running a "Technology in Higher Ed" package to kick off the school year and I've already talked to admins and profs who rave about the things they'll be able to do with it. But this is the first I've heard about this problem. I'd be interested in talking: <a href="mailto:greg.esposito@roanoke.com">greg.esposito@roanoke.com</a> or 1-800-346-1234 ext. 675.</p>