Engineering courseload

<p>Hi, I'm going to be a freshman engineering major next year at Tech. I was wondering what's the normal freshman courseload for engineering students. Thanks!</p>

<p>Bump…I’m also curious of this</p>

<p>It’s posted on the home page of the college of engineering. All majors have a detailed path of what should be taken in what semester. All available on the VT website. </p>

<p>First Semester Second Semester<br>
Calculus I Calculus II<br>
Elective Exploration of the Digital Future or
Exploration of Engineering Design<br>
Elementary Linear Algebra Freshman English<br>
Engineering Exploration Physics + lab
Freshman English Vector Geometry
General Chemistry + lab General Chemistry + lab<br>
C++ Programming (EE & CPE majors)</p>

<p>Java (CS majors)<br>
Elective (all other majors)</p>

<p>he’s referring to this:
[Graduation</a> Requirements (Checksheets) | University Registrar | Virginia Tech](<a href=“http://www.registrar.vt.edu/registration/degree_checksheet.php]Graduation”>http://www.registrar.vt.edu/registration/degree_checksheet.php)</p>

<p>Do you think I can get into VT’s Engineering Program with a 4.0 GPA (at one of the top HS’ in PA), 1640 SAT, 23 ACT with Writing, NHS Member.</p>

<p>What are my chances?</p>

<p>@PennState</p>

<p>Your test scores are very low. I believe you can’t get into engineering if your Math section score is below 600. You’re also going to be at a disadvantage being out of state. Really focus on improving your SAT/ACT scores. Study over the summer, maybe take an SAT/ACT prep course. You absolutely can improve your SAT score to 1900+. If you improve your test scores you’ve got a decent shot, especially if that 4.0 is unweighted.</p>

<p>PennState24 “What are my chances?”</p>

<p>I think you’ll have difficulty even applying to Penn State. As ExceptMe noted you should take a SAT prep course to try to improve your scores. If your HS is rigorous there’s no reason you should have such low test scores (regardless of whether your 4.0 is weighted or unweighted). If for some reason you cannot improve your math scores it’s unlikely you would be able to handle the math load at VA Tech even if you were to be admitted. IMO if you want to be successful in pursuing an engineering career your math scores ought to be in the 700s.</p>