Engineering Courses

<p>Are the ENGR courses required? Ex. ENGR 111 - Engineering for the Future
I guess I could see why ENGR 131 - Eng. Concepts and Designs I and ENGR 151 - Fundamental Eng. Graphics would be.
I’m sorry if I missed reading this somewhere, have just been using the curriculum provided on the site. The 3 I named are all listed for freshman fall semester.</p>

<p>And also, I’ve read posts on the summer lab for ChemE but never discovered what the actual result was. It is still on the site, so is that still required?</p>

<p>Hi Bamagirl. My D and I are also looking at the engineering courses and the flowcharts. I would just make sure that you are looking at the 2010-2012 catalog. Sometimes on the UA site it sends you to the 2008-2010 catalog.</p>

<p>Sorry, I can’t help with the other questions.</p>

<p>Just found this in the Undergrad Catalog:
All students in the College of Engineering have a common freshman-year experience. As part of this experience, all students must complete five hours of fundamental engineering courses. These five hours consist of ENGR 111, ENGR 131, ENGR 141, ENGR 151 and a one-hour introduction to one of the majors in the College.</p>

<p>So yes, those are required. I don’t like that very much, wanted room for one of UH freshman seminars! But I’m sure these classes are useful and necessary.
And I did make sure it was the updated one. Thanks for that info!
So only question now is the summer lab still required?</p>

<p>M2ck knows the answer to that one. I am sure she will be along shortly.</p>

<p>Ugh…those flowcharts…I’m too ADD to even begin to follow them. </p>

<p>I prefer the nice semester-by-semester suggestion. Here’s the one for ChemE… [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“http://catalogs.ua.edu/catalog10/501905.html#1]University”>http://catalogs.ua.edu/catalog10/501905.html#1)</p>

<p>However, I think the new Frosh Engineering Program was not finalized in time to make it into the current undergrad catalog. Those classes replace all the GES and Engineering Sketching classes.</p>

<p>Freshmen will no longer be taking GES 131, 132, or DR 100. </p>

<p>Instead, they will be following…</p>

<p>The College of Engineering has revised its freshman engineering program. These changes are effective Fall 2010. The revised program contains five common hours that are taken by all first-year students in the College of Engineering. These five hours are:</p>

<p> ENGR 111 : Engineering the Future</p>

<p> A discipline-specific 121 course : Introduction to the discipline</p>

<p> ENGR 131 : Engineering Concepts and Design I</p>

<p> ENGR 141 : Engineering Concepts and Design II (second semester)</p>

<p> ENGR 151 : Fundamental Engineering Graphics</p>

<p>In addition, students in Mechanical Engineering will complete ENGR 161 (Small-Scale Engineering Graphics) and students in Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering will complete ENGR 171 (Large-Scale Engineering Graphics) as part of their degree requirements.</p>

<p>The discipline-specific introductory course is designed to provide an in-depth understanding of a specific field within engineering. All departments provide a 1-hour introductory course. Some departments have a second 1-hour course that provides additional information regarding that specific discipline.</p>

<p>Q&A</p>

<p>When will these new ENGR classes be offered? ENGR 111, ENGR 131, ENGR 151, and all the discipline-specific introductory courses will be offered starting in Fall 2010. ENGR 141, ENGR 161 and ENGR 171 will be offered starting in Spring 2011.</p>

<p>What is the new ENGR 111 course? This course provides students with insights regarding the problems and tasks that engineers will confront in future years. Providing an overview to the engineering profession, it focuses on the challenges facing society (environmental, energy, medical, computational, etc.) and the role that engineering will play in addressing these challenges.</p>

<p>What are the new ENGR 131 and 141 courses? ENGR 131 and 141 focus on ensuring that all students entering their sophomore year of engineering studies have the basic skills necessary to successfully complete these foundational courses. Both courses are structured as a once-a-week three-hour laboratory experience, providing plenty of time for hands-on activities.</p>

<p>What is the new ENGR 151 course? ENGR 151 uses pencil-and-paper techniques to understand the basics of graphical communication. It consists of a series of online modules (lectures) plus a weekly recitation section where students apply the principles covered in the online modules.</p>

<p>I don’t know the latest regarding the summer class. In my opinion, people need to put pressure on Dr. Judy Bonner to allow other alternatives that could be offered spring semester for Chem E majors. Such as a class that meets all day on Tues and Thursday.</p>

<p>Thank you for that! If you ever get any news ab the summer lab please be sure to tell us(:</p>

<p>bamagirl,</p>

<p>The summer course is a problem for Chem E majors that have the NMF scholarship. The scholarship covers 8 semesters of tuition/room. Summer sessions are not covered unless you use it as one of your ‘semesters’. They may allow some flexibility with that, but, that is a point that Chem E majors should discuss ahead of time. I’m not sure who exactly the discussion needs to be with. I will likely email Dr. Bonner soon myself. The problem for the NMF folks is that the summer course would not be covered by the scholarship and would be very expensive with OOS tuition to boot. Apparently, Chem E is the only major that has a summer requirement.</p>

<p>Comes to a tidy $5K for the tuition alone for OOS students. Ouch.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>this is why I think that prospective students should contact Dr. Judith Bonner about this issue. If she felt that prospective NMFs and Presidential scholars were concerned about this, she would be more likely to make arrangements.</p>

<p>I would suggest asking Dr. Bonner if it would be ok to charge 3 credits to senior fall and 3 credits to senior spring. Since the scholarships go up to 20 credits per semester, that should work out fine.</p>

<p>It certainly is do-able…Bama let my son charge a summer class this last summer to his fall semester…so we paid NOTHING.</p>

<p>m2ck</p>

<p>Nothing? Room? Hmmm.</p>

<p>I did email Dr. Bonner this morning. This will be an issue they continue to face with Chem E majors. It might be good if they were able to charge the hours as you’ve suggested. They would likely benefit from having the details worked out the same for all those that face similar circumstances.</p>

<p>just a note re:
ENGR 151 : Fundamental Engineering Graphics</p>

<p>This one-credit course can also be fulfilled by taking the three-credit Design II (ART131 - 3D design)
DS went this route as it is also a pre-req for his Studio Art dbl. major.</p>

<p>Definitely echo M2Ks sentiments, get your hands on the printout of the suggested route for your particular major. Also when planning, esp. if you come in with APs, it helps a lot to just contact the dept. advisor directly. DS did and found that in his situation they preferred him take a course that was farther up on the chart before one that was suggested on the paper.</p>