Engineering difficulty

<p>I have heard there is an insanely high drop out rate from engineering because it is a weed out school. This fact is really holding me back. How bad is it?</p>

<p>expect to be working when some fellow first year engineers and business majors are partying if you want to avoid the weed out. The University expects you to put in 2-3 hours outside of class for every hour in class. I would say that is about accurate, seriously if you came to college to go out and party thrusday, friday and saturday, Purdue is not the place. Head down south to Bloomington, you can have the time of your life there. Most of the kids who get weeded out are from in state and had an easier time with admissions or think college should be all fun and no work.</p>

<p>Sparknotes: While you can fun, you have to manage your time well and be focused. If you want a top 10 engineering degree expect to work for it.</p>

<p>I am in the same situation… the cost and this is holding me back…</p>

<p>It’s not just purdue. at any decent university, expect a lot of kids to get weeded out. the truth of it is that most kids just aren’t ready for college. i think the stats say that only 2/3 of people who enter college end up getting a degree in 6 years. i assume you must be pretty smart since you’re on CC and most people on CC are way above average. however, you will probably have to work. it is possible to party thurs/fri/sat and still pull good grades but that is very rare. i would say take your first semester to studying more then partying, see if you can handle it, and adjust accordingly.</p>

<p>I’m in engineering (junior), I party every weekend and I’m rocking my classes. And I don’t pull all-nighters. Here’s my advice:</p>

<ul>
<li><p>be scared of your classes and overestimate how hard they’ll be. The reason is because most freshman underestimate their classes and screw up</p></li>
<li><p>learn how to study!!! Yes, there is an efficient way and a bad way to study. I highly advise “How to become a straight A student” by Cal Newport. You can also check out his blog at calnewport.com.</p></li>
</ul>

<p>Basically, most people waste a lot of time doing all the things wrong when it comes to studying. Here’s my advice: study in libraries, don’t waste time by going home between classes to watch tv, don’t study at home, don’t spend 3 hours eating with friends every single meal.</p>

<p>So it is possible, but you need to understand what classes are like and how to study effectively. It might be tricky your first semester with a lot of trial and error, but once you figure it all out you should be fine.</p>

<p>Nonetheless, definitely expect to work for your degree.</p>