Engineering @ Galveston Fall 2016 Program

I decided to create this thread for all incoming students that are part of this program. I’m excited for everyone that got accepted and are choosing to do this. This opportunity I believe is awesome and I’m happy my child will be attending her first year at TAMUG. Any questions about admissions or if you guys find out any information during your registering for NSC,Housing, etc., please feel free to post it here on this forum for other parents and students to help. Congratulations to all and GIG EM!!

Great thread! Curious what the chances are on starting in engineering at TAMUG, and then getting accepted into engineering at College Station…is anyone trying that route?

I don’t really know about that route as my daughter was offered this program when she applied for Texas A&M College Station. They launched this program this upcoming year to allow more students in Dwight Look College of Engineering while addressing space issues at College Station. The great thing is that they spend their first year doing same general engineering curriculum as their College Station counterparts but are at the Galveston Campus. They will be exposed to all 16 engineering disciplines and will be able to declare their major after 1st semester.

The students who want to major in Ocean Engineering or Marine Engineering Technology will stay @ Galveston as those programs are only offered at that campus. Should the students choose Petroleum,Chemical, Computer or any other engineering major, will have to go to College Station after completion of their first year @ Galveston Campus. The good thing is that each student is admitted to this program has their seat reserved for them in any of the engineering fields they chose because they are fully admitted to Dwight Look, just doing their first year at the beach!!

If the student maintains a 3.5 or better GPA after their first year, they are guaranteed their first major of choice. I understand that you have to at least list 3 program and can list up to 5. If you don’t have a 3.5 or better GPA, you will just have to make sure that you meet the minimum GPA requirements for your selected engineering majors and hopefully you get it based on the other Dwight Look students whom you are competing with for that seat in the department. The way i see it, its a competitive and challenging program, but being in Dwight Look gives you a good chance to major in what you want.

Which residence hall did your daughter apply to? Or do they just assign randomly? Do you need to choose a partner to share with? Is Galveston a nice campus? I’m still deciding between it and UT Tyler for a year then UT, CAP

@aggiedaughterENG

My son applied Texas A & M , engineering at College station, but got an offer from Dwight Look engineering at Galveston.
He is an international student,we live outside of US, know nothing about this system.My son’s goal is to get into College station, what’s the chance for him to transfer to college station in the second year?
Appreciate if anyone can help us. We’ve sent an email to the school for enquiry , but they replied us that they don’t have any statistics.

PanFiona98! Your son is basically accepted into A&M engineering! Galveston is a branch of A&M. Utilizing the Galveston branch is just a way to accept more students into the highly competitive, and desirable program. The students just spend the first year at the Galveston campus. It’s not a transfer!
As long as he maintains a 2.0 GPA, he will be in College Station in one year. Students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher will get their first choice major. It’s a great offer, and if your son accepts he will be an Aggie when he starts at Galveston. Congratulations!

We haven’t applied for housing yet, but will be doing so soon. We had a chance to tour Pacific Hall which is their new addition that was built 4 years ago. It is really nice and has alot of space. The room we visited was a suite style dorm with a dining/ study area, full bath. You have 2 rooms that can house a total of 4 people. They also have a full kitchen so if you want to make like some real food you can do that as well. I’m told they will send out a questionnaire that will help them pair someone with you that has more of your study,sleep and personality traits. My daughter is easy going and doesn’t have any problems making friends. Once I apply for housing, i’ll post more information. Has anyone signed up for NSC dates of 7-25/7-26? Still trying to figure out if will be at Galveston or College Station.

Like 123vca said in the reply to PanFiona98, your son is accepted to Dwight Look College of Engineering. Congratulations on this accomplishment for your child. You son will have many choices on their engineer career path and will be exposed to all 16 engineering majors taught @ Texas A&M including the 2 taught at Galveston Campus.

Your son will spend their 1st year @ Galveston Campus taking core curriculum and will be able to do entry to a major after 1st semester. After successful completion of 2nd semester and has a 3.5 GPA or better, will get their first choice of major. They will choose of up to 5 different engineering majors and list them from 1st to last choice. If they get below a 3.5 then they will be competing with other kids from College Station/Galveston for their major choice but again, they are already in Dwight Look College so they are already one step ahead of most of their competition. It is your child’s spot to gain or lose. If they chose a major taught at College Station, they will go to that campus to complete their degree. If they chose a major taught at Galveston, they will stay on campus and complete their degree. Either way you choose, your child will either have to go to College Station or Galveston Campus to complete their degree regardless of which path they choose.

The flip side that is, if say your child decides they don’t want to be an engineering major and wants to choose say liberal arts or general studies to decide what they want, they can stay at Galveston or go to College Station to complete their degree as long as they meet the minimum requirements for the major of choice.

I personally liked the campus and feel of the island vibe is what sold my daughter on doing her first year there. She also loves the beach so it doesn’t hurt if you like that. It’s a smaller campus but they have a lot going on and same Aggie Spirit you will see at College Station.

i was worried about housing because the website says that you must apply housing by March 3rd or you wont be guaranteed to receive housing

Trust me, you will get housing because your required to live on campus till age of 21. Like anything else, better to apply sooner than later. My daughter wants to take some swim lessons because she wants to be confident when she learns how to surf. I told her, we will see LoL.

Part of the program was making sure they had to room to house all applicants accepted into the Engineering @ Galveston along with their non program students.

You’re right, I would just try to apply early

Dearf aggiedaughterENG,
First of all,Thank you very much for your thoroughly explanation.
This is a big decision to our family, We’ve been asking the school twice but did not get any concrete answers.

Dear 123vca,

Thank you for your help,too. But one more question, I just wonder how many engineering students in Galveston can transfer to college station? Does the school set any quota?

All kids that are in this program will either choose to stay at Galveston Campus to pursue their degree or go to College Station to pursue their degree. It will be your child’s choice which direction they choose. Even if they decide not to pursue engineering as a major, both campuses offer non engineering degree plans and he will just have to meet the minimum requirements of the major of choice. What I’m trying to say is that your child is already a student at Texas A&M. Galveston is a branch campus of College Station so he doesn’t have to do anything different other than change of curriculum for non engineering or entry to a major for engineering. All Engineering @ Galveston program students will go to College Station after their first year if they choose any of the engineering majors other than Ocean or Marine Engineering Technology majors as those are the only two engineering majors taught at Galveston Campus. All other engineering majors are taught at College Station. I hope this answers your questions and helps you better understand the opportunity your child has been provided with.

Dear aggiedaughterENG,
Thanks for your explanation again. You’re answer is clearer and detailed than the school’s reply.
In my country, there is no such "university branch campus " concept, so I was worrying if students were assigned to Galveston campus because they were not as good as the students assigned to College station, and some or many of them won’t be transferred to college station, because there are quota limitation.

Dear aggiedaughterENG,
Thanks for your explanation again. You’re answer is clearer and detailed than the school’s reply.
In my country, there is no such "university branch campus " concept, so I was worrying if students were assigned to Galveston campus because they were not as good as the students assigned to College station, and some or many of them won’t be transferred to college station, because there are quota limitation.

Dear aggiedaughterENG,

Don’t be down on yourselves if you were offered this part of admission. I was originally offered Engineering Academy and though I felt extremely disappointed that I could not be fully admitted, I now see it as to my benefit. Though the classes are still difficult, there are some easier parts to it like the labs. You will be closer with your classmates since the classes are smaller. At Galveston, you will be able to bond with your classmates since you are in the same program and you get to enjoy the beach life. See this as just another stop on your journey to achieve your goals.