Engineering @ Galveston Fall 2016 Program

Hi. I’m curious how your daughter is enjoying her freshman year in Galveston. My son will do the engineering @Galveston for one year. He’s not excited about it and I’m trying to find out about student life.

@2021MomHouston Honestly it’s not that bad. Of course college station has more things to do, but Galveston can be fun too. The classes are not too bad, but from what I experienced and some of my friends experienced, second semester can be pretty tough depending on what classes are taken first semester. I had a blast during my year in the program. Initially I was skeptical of the force dorm placements, but it’s definitely a good thing; I shared many classes with my roommates which helped a ton. It was nice having a smaller campus before heading off to college station.

I am so excited to read all this wonderful information as my son is going to TAMUG and is in the Honors program within the Engineering School. Class of 2021. I will be honest it has been confusing especially with his scholarship money but it is so much easier to get answers from the staff at TAMUG than at COLLEGE STATION. He is got a great dorm room in Atlantic Hall and we are super excited for the much smaller campus. GIG EM

@AggieMOM21 -My son toured TAMUG with a friend who will be attending there in the fall with the intention of transferring to CS asap, and he really liked as well! In fact, many will think him crazy but even though he is a Class of 2022 Academic Admit and has already submitted his TAMU (Mays) application, he is thinking of applying to TAMUG to pursue either a Maritime Business Administration (5 year program ending in M.S) or Marine Transportation major instead. He is so adamant, that we are going to schedule another visit so I can go back with him and check this campus out. He said that the first thing that caught his attention was the initial presentation when they went over the majors offered, the % of students placed in jobs (per major) and the average starting salaries for each major.

Other things he mentioned were, for him, positives:

-Some majors have 100% job placement rate with starting salaries of $96K (ie-marine transportation?) Really? This I need to verify;
-Marine/Maritime majors are very hands-on taking boats out to collect samples for classes, vessel navigating simulators, sailing classes, etc.

• Partnership with tons of companies (hence the high job placement %?)
    -TAMUG students pull football tickets even before seniors at CS do, so many get to watch games from the 1st deck starting freshmen year.
  • Students still participate in FISH camp, get Aggie Rings, and have their own yell leaders & Yell Practices
    -The Maritime Academy Corps Cadets march into Kyle Field at least 2x year
    -Campus is much smaller so getting anywhere on campus takes no more than 5-10 minutes
    -Smaller class sizes
    -Maritime/Marine Majors are in high demand as ocean commerce is a growing industry & the Port of Houston is so near.
    -Club Sports/Intramurals: Volleyball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Swimming, Sailing, Fishing, Ultimate Frisbee, surfing, camping, rock climbing, stand-up paddleboarding, kayaking. etc.

From my limited perspective, the first thing I noticed is how easily it is to either email or call, ask questions and get straight answers quickly.

Apparently there’s lots of construction and new development on campus so it seems they are trying to expand it and grow it.

If I find anything else of interest on my tour I will be sure to share!

Thank you for your amazing feedback. We just finished up our orientation at TAMUG and the only thing I found to be a issue was the humidity…lol and man was it humid. My son registered for classes and will transfer to CS next year or at end of fall semester depends on his academic performance. Which considering that he already has 45 credit hours from high school and the slim selection on courses for him being a aerospace engineering major in honors engineering his course load should be very manageable. The dorms are awesome now all I do is worry about what I am going to do with my youngest gone. But that’s a whole new post…