Engineering Honors and Course Availability

<p>If you are an incoming freshman and you're Engineering Honors, are you sure to get a seat in the engineering honors classes?</p>

<p>D3 has a NSC that's sort of late (July 30). Will it be difficult to get the classes she wants? Is there a chance that she will have to take other than honors classes because they will be filled?</p>

<p>Anyone have any experience with this?</p>

<p>i have the same orientation date which i chose because I wanted to wait for ap results to come in. Interested in the answer as well</p>

<p>My son had mostly engineering honors classes first semester this last year ( freshman year) but was unable to get any second. He also had a late July NSC. They do fill up quickly. He really wanted to take the honors organic chemistry because he had heard the prof was excellent, but he didn’t want to wait, so he went ahead and took the regular class and it worked out fine. He was able to get honors multi variable first semester and was quite happy with that class. If there is a particular honors class that she truly wants to be in…have her talk with her advisor. My son’s advisor has “found” him spots in a couple of classes.</p>

<p>Hmmm…okay. Thanks. She’ll have credit for Eng 104, and POLS 206 and 207 out of year 1 already. I was wondering about Chemistry for Engineers. She’s had CHEM I and II at community college. I don’t think it transfers to TAMU’s CHEM 107/117. But maybe it will make it easier for her.</p>

<p>cromette, I cannot thank you enough for bringing this issue to light. I did not even think the NSC date was a factor. So are you saying students can start registering for courses as soon as they complete NSC? I was under the impression registration began a week before classes. thanks.</p>

<p>Perazziman, they register AT NSC. They should be sure before they go to NSC that they’ve completed their Math Placement, if they need to. Arrangements should be made to ensure that any AP scores go to TAMU. I’m having final transcripts sent from the high school and from the junior college. PLUS, I’m going to have her take official copies with her as well. There should be an opportunity for advisement.</p>

<p>There’s a FAQ page that’s helpful.
<a href=“http://newaggie.tamu.edu/faq[/url]”>http://newaggie.tamu.edu/faq&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>cromette, if you are referring to chem 1411 and chem 1412 at a cc, it will substitute for chem 107, chem for engineers.</p>

<p>Alexdi, oh that would be great! She would be so happy! :)</p>

<p>Which engineering is she? And you mentioned she had eng 1301… did she take 1302 as well?</p>

<p>She’s Mech E. And she should have AP Credit for 104, 203 and 241.</p>

<p>Her English 203 credit should substitute for her English 301 credit (tech writing), which I believe MechE take around their first sem, junior year.</p>

<p>Oh, that’s cool! If that’s the case, she could graduate in 3 1/2 yrs!</p>

<p>Cromette thanks a million. My son is scheduled for NSC on the 19th & 20th of Aug. so don’t know what will be open at that late date. </p>

<p>Does anyone know if having sophomore standing (45 credits) may benefit him in registering for Engineering Honors courses during NSC? I recall reading something about benefitting from having more than 30 credits (sophomore standing) in registering for classes. </p>

<p>Schmegel, did your son have AP Calc BC or take Calc I & II for dual credit? I am asking because son is expecting to earn 4 or 5 on Calc BC, but is not sure if he should repeat Calc II or move straight into MV Calc. at A&M.</p>

<p>That will help your son register for Spring classes since everyone will be assigned a set time they’re allowed to register for classes, with Honors students first, then upperclassmen, then freshmen. I don’t think it will help him register for classes at the NSC, though, since the registration time everyone’s assigned corresponds to their NSC date. It’s pretty much first come first serve.</p>

<p>Perazziman, you asked an important, great question. My S was so confused about what to do regarding math. He did take Calc BC and made a 5. The “general” advice was for him to take 152 even though he could take credit for it. But his advisor said he thought he might be able to take the credit and do fine in multivariable. Two older students from the same high school also said he should be well-prepared for multivariable. He took MV and made an A. He did find diff e much more difficult and worked harder in that class than any class ever…hours every single day. But he just told me that his professor was not good and he taught himself. He did make an a. Anyway, he has had multiple people tell him that 152 is a weed out course and that it can be difficult to make a’s…depending on the teacher. His best advice is to work on it daily and find a way to figure out how to work through any concepts that you struggle with as quickly as possible before moving on to something new. If he knows some older engineering students from his high school, they might be able to tell him if his teachers prepared him well.</p>

<p>Oh, I agree with schmegel. If he makes a 5 on the Calc BC exam, there’s really no reason why he should take Calc II again with Math 152.</p>

<p>Also, believe it or not, Math 251 is easier than Math 152. Math 152 is a weed out course, after all.</p>

<p>Thank you izelkay & schmegel. Assuming son gets advanced credit for Chemistry, history & English, any suggestions on what he should take in addition to Math 251, Physics 218 and ENGR 111 in the first semester? He is majoring in EE.</p>

<p>Does he have his POLS credits?</p>

<p>POLS 206 and 207 are required. And PE is required, but only one hour. I think my D is going to take a visual and performing arts credit.</p>

<p>She’ll need one more class. I’m not sure what it will be. Can they take technical electives freshman year?</p>

<p>Along with POLS there’s also Hist 105 and Hist 106 that he needs for HIST requirements. He could also take a visual and performing arts credit like cromette’s daughter is doing. For that, I highly recommend that both your kids sign up for THAR 281, because it also counts towards International and Cultural Diversity. It’s also one of the easiest A courses at TAMU.</p>

<p>Izelkay, thanks so much for the tip! D has history out of the way too. I think the only core she needs is the visual arts and the engineering ethics course. I will tell her about THAR 281! </p>

<p>I answered my own question regarding technical electives. It doesn’t really work out because of prerequisites.</p>