Engineering Honors and Course Availability

<p>cromette, You are right he will need PE. He has POL 206 & HIST 105, 106, but not POL 207. However, The EE curriculum seems to suggest that POLS can be substituted by other UCC electives:</p>

<p><a href=“Electrical and Computer Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering”>Electrical and Computer Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering;

<p>So, perhaps he can substitute THAR 281 for POL 207 and meet an I&C Diversity requirement in the process. I suppose he can take one more I&C Diversity course next semester and then start working on the Technical and ECEN Electives next year. I have been unable to find a list of Technical & ECEN electives.</p>

<p>Izelkay thanks for the tip on THAR 281. I think that would be great for him.</p>

<p>Hmmm, pretty sure the meaning there is that they don’t have to take that particular UCC elective at that particular time, they could take ANOTHER requirement and take POLS 207 later. I don’t think you get around taking POLS 207. That class is required in addition to a class in visual and performing arts. So, if he wanted to switch out his first semester and take the THAR class, and do POLS later, I’m sure he probably could. I thought the THARS class might be a good first semester class. It might be good on the gpa while adjusting to the culture shock of college.</p>

<p>Thanks cromette. </p>

<p>So it seems his choices will be, </p>

<p>PE and one of these:
POL 207, THAR 281, a diversity elective, ENGR 482.</p>

<p>In addition, don’t know if he qualifies for any of the Technical & ECEN Electives.</p>

<p>Not sure about Electrical in regards to the electives. But for Mechanical, it looked like the prerequisites would not be in place for the first year students.</p>

<p>I found this for Electrical. The date at the bottom is recent:</p>

<p><a href=“Electrical and Computer Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering”>Electrical and Computer Engineering | Texas A&M University Engineering;

<p>He won’t be qualified to register for any of the ECEN electives until he completes all of the CBK courses (I’m also Electrical Engineering). So assuming he’ll be done with MATH 151 & 152 and Chem 107 & 117, he will still need to complete ENGR 111 & 112, PHYS 218 & 208, and ENGL 104 before he can register for any ECEN course.</p>

<p>izelkay, thanks. So, which course do EEs take to learn C++ or Java? Also do you have to take any courses in statistics for EE?</p>

<p>BTW he also has credit for ENGL 104, 203, 241. Also credit for History I & II and POLS 206 & Economics. So, it seems like he will have lots of free time on his hand. perhaps he should look for a second major.</p>

<p>Perraziman, My D will need two of the International & Cultural Diversity classes, and one Visual and Performing Arts - and they can overlap. It’s very similar to what your son needs as far as electives go. I think the only real difference is POLS 207.</p>

<p>I looked around for a comprehensive list of such courses with descriptions and I couldn’t find one with everything together in one place. So I made one, omitting any classes that would require prerequisites that she won’t have. I can’t guarantee it’s completely comprehensive, but I did what I could. I have also added, next to the course number, the grade that most students make in the class. Cultural Diversity Classes are in red. Do you want a copy? :)</p>

<p>She has picked her classes from it. It might help your son.</p>

<p>Also, if he’s thinking about another major or a minor, another idea might be to go for some of the certification programs offered through the engineering department:</p>

<p>[Certificate</a> Programs | Academics | College of Engineering](<a href=“http://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/certificates]Certificate”>Certificate Programs | Texas A&M University Engineering)</p>

<p>ENGR 112 teaches C++, and I believe he can also take CSCE 121 in place of that and it would also count as an ECEN elective, but it’d be best if he had some prior c++ knowledge if he opts to take it since it’s really rather difficult for people who’ve never coded before.</p>

<p>And nope, we don’t have to take statistics.</p>

<p>Here’s a degree helper thingy I found in my elearning:
<a href=“http://■■■■■■/3elCg.png[/url]”>http://■■■■■■/3elCg.png&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>izelkay, thanks again. He doesn’t know C++, but knows some Java via HP Comp Science II (~AP Comp. Sci AB) in which he earned A grades in junior year.</p>

<p>Also, my S found most of the PE classes full first semester freshman year (running, swimming still available), but he took two PEs that he was truly interested in second semester and loved them. He is going to take archery again this fall. He just thought they provided wonderful breaks from the difficult classes.<br>
He was much like your children, had many AP credits, and thus had a difficult time filling his schedule. His advisor allowed him to take a couple of upper level classes (I don’t think he could have if he had not had credit for physics and calculus.) But since 111 and 112 were all he needed in the engineering prerequisites, they had to allow him to take something. There are others in this situation too. (The NSC times with advisors tend to be small groups. My S made an appointment to speak one-on-one with his advisor before his NSC.) But biomedical is a much smaller major than ME and EE, so I don’t know how their advisors handle specific situations. But I think all departments want the students to graduate on time, so they figure out ways to make it work!</p>

<p>Thanks schmegel. Wow that is amazing. did not realize one could take Archery. How about Skeet and Trap shooting? </p>

<p>I know A&M has a shooting Team that participates in the intercollegiate Shooting Tournament. Son is about a AA level skeet shooter and would like to try out. However, I didn’t think one could get credit for it.</p>

<p>schmegel,</p>

<p>Interesting about going for advisement before NSC. That is also a thought that we have entertained. Was he able to register prior? I didn’t see archery listed for fall. Maybe I missed it.</p>

<p>Archery, badminton, raquetball, hockey, snow skiiing, and all those popular KINE 198/199 courses are extremely difficult to get a spot in because seats fill up incredibly fast, and they never open up more of them. Here’s all the archery ones for Fall 2013:
<a href=“http://■■■■■■/3f8ZN.png[/url]”>http://■■■■■■/3f8ZN.png&lt;/a&gt;
all full.</p>

<p>I definitely would’ve signed up for it, but the students that got the earliest registration time filled up all the seats, lol.</p>

<p>Apparently, no credit is offered for skeet and trap. However, son is looking forward for trying out for the Team.</p>

<p>I just called in to the Admissions Department, and they said that there are classes reserved for each conference and opened once registration starts, so every kid gets a chance at classes.</p>

<p>Cromette,
S could not register before NSC so although he got the classes that he and his advisor had talked about, he didn’t necessarily get the professor he wanted for every class. His advisor sent a letter to the prof for the upper level class he took asking for special permission, but I cannot remember if he did that at NSC or earlier. My husband attended NSC, I did not. So I don’t know the ins and outs firsthand. But I know they worked out several different schedules the night before registering so that they could register as quickly and efficiently as possible…before the classes filled. S recommends prioritizing class times and profs and then having alternatives you can quickly choose from if the class is already full. The “domino affect” makes it a bit tricky. When math class is full…you might have to take the time for which you wanted to take a science, etc.</p>

<p>Did that class require special permission?</p>

<p>Or is special permission required for every upper-level class?</p>

<p>I am not positive. For BME, and I suppose all of the engineering, students have to complete those basic classes…so I guess it depends on what the upper level class really needs the student to understand. In this instance, I don’t believe S could have take it without having physics or calculus.</p>

<p>I think D’s strategy for class selection and professors is going to be to select MATH 151 first, PHYS 218 second and ENGR 111 third. The rest isn’t too important. She’ll take a relatively easy Visual & Performing Arts class and PE.</p>