Engineering Honors vs University Honors

<p>So this entire time I thought I was accepted into Engineering Honors since that's what I applied for when I submitted my applytexas form a while ago. I was quite surprised when I received an invitation to apply for Engineering Honors recently since I thought I was already accepted. Going back and reading the emails carefully I'm now realizing that i was actually accepted into University Honors not engineering. Can anyone tell me what's the difference? Different housing maybe? Should I go ahead and apply for engineering honors or just stick with university honors? Which one is more competitive to get in?</p>

<p>Howdy FullMetalX!</p>

<p>Congratulations on your acceptances!</p>

<p>The primary difference between the University Honors Program and the Engineering Honors Program (formerly called Engineering Scholars Program) is one of focus. Since UHP is open to students from all majors, the requirements are broader in scope where EHP is more focused on engineering. The requirements for both distinctions are complementary, though, and many students do complete both.</p>

<p>EHP just started a freshman component this past year but there is a well-established freshman engineering living learning community in Mosher (the LLC is not limited to Honors Students). Again, the difference between the ELLC and the Honors freshman learning community is one of focus. The Honors LLC has students from a bunch of majors (about 50% engineering) and focuses on broad topics like critical thinking, undergraduate research, and personal mission statements, where the ELLC will be more focused on engineering. Both are great options for freshmen to get plugged in, you’ll just want to choose the one that best suits your goals.</p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>

<p>Jon, Would you happen to know if being accepted to the engineering honors program helps with obtaining housing in Mosher? My son has been accepted to EE but was late applying for housing. He is on a waiting list for housing right now. However, he received a letter saying he may qualify for the engineering honors program. So, we were wondering if being in the engineering honors program would help him get housing? Thank you.</p>

<p>Hi, Perazziman,</p>

<p>I’m not aware of any special consideration being given to students on the housing wait list for Engineering Honors, but they are expanding the freshman program, so this might be something that is happening that I’m just not aware of.</p>

<p>The best source for an answer would either be from Engineering Honors or the Housing Assignments Office:</p>

<p>Engineering Honors: (979) 458-0180, [ELLC</a> - About Us](<a href=“http://essap.tamu.edu/ellc/about-us.htm]ELLC”>http://essap.tamu.edu/ellc/about-us.htm)</p>

<p>Housing Assignments Office: 888-451-3896</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>

<p>Jon, Thank you for the info.</p>

<p>Bringing an old post back to life, I know. But… Here’s my question. When we’re looking at a course such as ENDS-101 Honors, does that mean only UHP and EHP student may attend, or just UHP, etc.? Thanks!</p>

<p>Here’s the policy for non-honors ( honors includes university, school or department):</p>

<p>Students not enrolled in an Honors Program may still register for Honors courses 1) one week before the start of classes as an incoming freshman if they graduated in the top 10% of their high school class and have an SAT of at least 1250 (verbal + math, with a minimum score of 570 on each) or a composite 28 on the ACT (minimum score of 27 each on verbal and math) OR 2) at their regularly scheduled registration time as a current student if they have earned a cumulative GPR of 3.5 or better.</p>

<p>For Ends 101 Honors specifically, it is one of the more difficult courses to get (but worth it if you get it!) so be sure to have another course in mind.</p>

<p>^why is it ‘worth it if you get it’?</p>

<p>one of the most popular courses in that category- students are both successful in it & enjoy it.</p>

<p>@JKotinek How does one go about getting into the Honors Engineering Program? Do you have to apply for it when you apply as a senior in high school, or do you gain the opportunity to participate in this program from your performance at TAMU as a freshmen? Thank you. Anyone else who knows this answer please, feel free to answer. Thanks guys.</p>

<p>Howdy collegelover212!</p>

<p>Apologies for not answering sooner!</p>

<p>There is an application for Engineering Honors that students can fill out as they’re completing the Apply Texas process, but they can also join later. The application can be accessed through <a href=“http://honorsprograms.tamu.edu”>http://honorsprograms.tamu.edu</a>.</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
TAMU Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>