Engineering Laptop

Hey guys,
I was wondering if there were any more laptops coming out for the approved list. If not which is the better laptop to get out of the current two laptops that are approved. Also, if you click on the Dell laptop it gives you the option of buying the 5510 or the XPS, are they both approved, and which is better.

Thanks for any feedback

They don’t actually check what computer you have. Anything laptop will do, really.

@KievanRus are you a current student or a prospective one?

I’m a current student. All you need is a computer that is capable of running matlab and labview, which is most laptops. In fact, most other students here have a different laptop than those recommended.

@KievanRus what about all the demanding 3D modeling programs that will have to run, if not right now but in the future, like CAD,MAYA or any other demanding modeling software? I know that a good processor and GPU combo with a decent amount of RAM should work. I read that there is difference between workstation GPU driver’s and drivers for integrated/dedicated GPU’s and sometimes that can be an issue when trying to run demanding modeling/engineering programs.

Can you use Apple Computers? Mac-book Pro?

They don’t teach autocad anymore in Engr 111 and 112. All we use is labview and matlab. Besides, once you start to use cpu heavy programs when you reach your upper levels, you’re going to be using their high processing desktops, not your own laptop, it takes up too much memory for a personal computer. As for apple computers, I myself and a huge amount of people are using a Macbook Pro, it works great. I partitioned my drive to run windows, but most mac people didn’t.

@KievanRus , are you guys using Windows 7 professional or Windows 10?

Some people are running windows 7, others windows 8, others windows 10, others OS X Yosemite, El Capitan, etc. It does not matter. Just make sure you also have microsoft office.

@KievanRus , Can you give us the minimum recommended specs for classes? Like CPU,GPU, RAM, HDD etc? Also maybe your recommended laptops as well. I think with that information, will allow us parents to shop for a cheaper option. We might find that it would be better going with the recommended BOYD device on the website. Thank you for your input.

I would have the specs included in the BYOD in mind as the minimum. Apparently the approved devices for fall 2016 are different than when I entered, so these webpages have their specs for you to use as a guideline
for example the mac has these specs
2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Built-in battery (10 hours)
Force Touch trackpad

but anyways here are the specs of both devices

http://premierconfigure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=RC1367429&oc=rcRC1367429-4282103

http://www.mac-resource.com/shop-by-major-engineering/

and the source

https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/academics/byod/devices/2016-2017

I personally have a macbook pro 13" and it works excellent, I prefer macs because in my own personal experience I find them to be very reliable, fast, and overall a better quality product than previous PC laptops that would fail in performance within 3 years, as opposed to macs which not one has failed me yet.

Any laptop will do. I see most people with dell or a mac. Make sure it can run software like MATLAB and Labview.

If you use a Mac, does switching between Mac OS and windows not become tedious.

Most people don’t even partition their drive, they just run everything on OS X. If you’re concerned about rebooting (which only takes 5 seconds), you can always just use a virtual desktop

I run everything on OS X and it runs perfectly fine. Other people do the same. Engineering department tries to make sure the software they use will be able to run on both Mac and Windows

Would the XPS 13 be an ideal laptop