Engineering Major Change

My son will be new student in Fall 2024. We submitted his application on 10/15/24 and he had Civil Engineering down for his major, he is now thinking of Mechanical Engineering. How difficult is it to change? Should I do it now even though not 100% sure either. Does engineering have a program that goes through all the sub engineering the first year?

Are you the parent or the student? The student submitted the application…not the parent.

1 Like

Per the umass website:

First-Year Applicants

Admitted first-year students are granted general admission to the College of Engineering and at the end of their first year, they choose a specific engineering major.

6 Likes

On the UMass Amherst website it says

Admitted first-year students are granted general admission to the College of Engineering and at the end of their first year, they choose a specific engineering major.

If you look at the plan of classes for each major, however, they do recommend students start taking classes in the individual major starting first semester. (It looks like an overview of the major seminar in the first semester and typically a methods class in the second semester.) I don’t see a class offered that is specifically an engineering exploratory class, but given what they say on the website there must be flexibility to change.

ETA: have you/you son done one of the engineering online info sessions? We haven’t had a chance to fit one in yet, but that seems like a great way to get the information you’re looking for.

3 Likes

You shouldn’t do anything. It’s your child’s responsibility.

1 Like