Engineering must be really hard to get into...

<p>I got into University Studies but got denied from Engineering.</p>

<p>SAT:1370 out of 1600
ACT: 33 out of 36
GPA: 4.52 (weighted)
SATII: 720 - US History; 710 - Math 1; 660 - Literature</p>

<p>Taking 5 APs this year and received a 5 on US History this year. I'm also a Virginia resident.</p>

<p>-Eagle Scout
-1st team All Metro for Mens Volleyball
-Captain with 3 varsity letters for Vball; also Senior Leadership award
-active member of my youth group (mission trip to Texas for Hurricane Relief)
-multiple volunteer opportunities
-Sports Editor on school paper</p>

<p>I promise I'm not mad or trying to brag. Just giving perspective to how good this year's engineering class must be. A sincere congrats to anyone that got into it.</p>

<p>Are you from Northern Virginia?</p>

<p>Was your M/CR breakdown really lopsided? Your 1370 is a great score combined, however if the breakdown was say 800M/570CR that may have been a problem. I believe they care far more about the individual sections then the two combined.</p>

<p>Two years ago we attended the Engineering Open House when my son was a hs Jr and looking at schools. In the Admissions break out session we were told that they were looking for a 600 in both M & CR on the SAT for entrance to the e’school. This may have gone up since then, or as chuy suggested be higher for NoVa kids. I am sure there are people that have been accepted with scores lower then that (ie there are exceptions), however I believe this is the benchmark.</p>

<p>Take heart – this is only because you are in-state. As a Maryland Resident – my son was accepted to College Park – but not engineering. . . however, he got into Virginia Tech, Rose-Hulman w/merit, Drexel w/merit, Case-Western w/merit and UMBC as a Meyerhoff Distinguished Scholar. Seems to be the the hardest engineering program to get into is your own state school.</p>

<p>When Tech admissions came to my school they said they concentrated really heavily on your Math SAT score and your science/math course load. I’m surprised, you’re ACT is great, but Tech looks primarily at SAT unfortunately.</p>

<p>Unless that changed recently they take the higher of your ACT and SAT scores; neither is weighted more.</p>

<p>I’m from Henrico, VA (aka suburbs of Richmond). My math SAT score was 750 and my critical reading was 620.</p>

<p>@proudmom1313 congrats to your son. I’ve got a friend who’s at Maryland.</p>

<p>yeah, I was just about to ask if you’re in state. My stats were about the same, but I had you by more points on CR and a little less on math.</p>

<p>It seems like plenty of people do just fine taking the general engineering class at a community college and transferring it in. Most kids don’t do as well as they should in those early weed-out engineering classes, so it would be helpful for your GPA if they were T instead of B or B+ :-)</p>