Engineering Prestige

<p>I am almost 100% sure i'm going to tech, as long as they give me reasonable financial aid, so this isn't like convince me to go here kinda thread. But, ne ways, how much weight does an undergraduate degree in engineering from va tech hold in the job market? </p>

<p>I no Vtech is ranked 14th for engineering (US NEWS) tied with Northwestern and John Hopkins, but do most people (like employers) know this?</p>

<p>From what I hear, for the most part it doesn't really matter where you get the degree. Teacher of mine got his from ECU and worked for a reputable firm and went on to start his own business. But yes VT is very prestigious. A contractor once told me he holds VT in pretty high regard.</p>

<p>My girlfriend's sister graduated recently from mining eng. at tech and was offered quite a few jobs. I don't believe it is as known as most would like, but hopefully by the time you and I graduate the name will be out there a bit more.</p>

<p>See you in engineering next year, esmitty, and congratulations on being accepted =D</p>

<p>Employers up and down the east coast, and states bordering VA, know Tech and like its engineering graduates. I know a few eng grads who had great job choices, esp. in the DC area. Good luck!</p>

<p>
[quote]
Employers up and down the east coast, and states bordering VA, know Tech and like its engineering graduates. I know a few eng grads who had great job choices, esp. in the DC area. Good luck!

[/quote]
</p>

<p>This, but you're not limited to that area necessarily. You'll have an easier time in those regions for a lot of reasons, but while Tech certainly isn't an MIT or CalTech it is well respected. I got an interview offer from a San Diego firm when I mentioned my school.</p>

<p>My friend's son who is graduating this spring (mechanical eng.) is headed to Florida where he has a great job lined up.</p>