engineering programs for above average student with additional criteria

1200 SAT is low for engineering.

Stay instate. Try the U of Buffalo.

“try mechanical engineering” at UB if he drops ME he’ll have many other majors to choose from.

@Cheeringsection

Thank you for the Valpo suggestion. Certainly recognize the name and have positive association from my time at UChicago, but never looked at closely for DS. Will do now.

@twoinanddone

Which school did your daughter attend?

@SuperSenior19

We know Case very well. Made final cut for both our other children. I was rooting for them personally - impressed by breadth of academic offerings, happy about merit they offered and just liked the vibe in Cleveland. Not sure this DS will apply, though.

@monydad @Greymeer

Will probably apply to one SUNY. All lack the smaller size which we think would benefit DS, especially Buffalo.

And certainly think he can find a good engineering program with a high 1200s SAT, although he will sit for the exam again in August.

“Smaller” is relative. I suggested Binghamton because it is "smaller’ for a state u that has engineering, more likely meets your budget requirements than a private would typically, and is probably closer to the right SAT range than a lot of other engineering programs I’m familiar with.

If you can find schools that check every single box, more power to you. In the college searches for my own kids we found that we had to compromise on some desired features to get the best possible fit. YMMV.

@monydad

Agree entirely about Binghamton within the SUNY system - most manageable size, budget is a no-brainer, and does get him a little distance from home. Buffalo is a different story on size.

@cjpski Does your son have access to Naviance for his school? If he does, Can you have him look to see at where he falls within the scattergram for schools like SUNY New Paltz, SUNY Binghamton, and Clarkson? Also might want to check RPI.

What are his requirements (non-academic) for a college experience? Does he want to be rural vs. urban? What kind of campus? In the end, those may be better differentiators than the reputation of the ME department.

If the Naviance for Binghamton shows all kids like OPs get in, that could be useful info.
But otherwise it may not be useful. Because admitted engineers may not have same stats as admitted applicants to (nursing, arts & sciences, business, whatever else…)
That’s a generic deficiency of Naviance in the case of multi-college universities. It doesn’t break out the results by a university’s individual colleges.

Try Trinity College in Hartford CT for engineering. Small, close to NYC but not too close…
SAT optional. NESCAC conference of schools (like Tufts, Middlebury, Bates but in an urban capital city location). High academic quality of students.

Rowan. The SAT should not be a problem. The university is growing but the class sizes are small for more personal attention.

Florida Tech

A friend attend Buffalo in aerospace engineering. He likes it. I don’t think he and his friends do much in the way of partying. He likes the school a lot, but I don’t know that it would be any different at any other school, big public or smaller STEM.

University of Hartford had good accredited engineering programs. Not sure if you can get the cost to your price point…but they do give merit aid.