Engineering Question

<p>I'm a sophomore right now and originally I had thought about majoring in history. Now, I am interested in the civil engineering program. It sounds very interesting to me. In my first semester I haven't taken any real math or science courses, but next semester I am taking calculus and zoology. How hard would it be to switch into the engineering program? Would it takes more than 4 years to graduate do you think? I wouldn't even get into an intro engineering course until sophomore year. I know these may be hard to answer because you don't know much about my specific case yet, but any help is great.</p>

<p>Very tough. Probably five years as engineering requires more credits than any other major. Good news is jobs are plentiful right now. Walk over and talk with their admissions office people. They won't bite. I almost switched to education but it would have taken an extra year so I stuck with my major.</p>

<p>If your a Sophomore right now, and haven't any math/science courses yet it would take about 3 years. So, about 5 years in total. Of course this would require a carefully scheduled plan with an adviser and lots of dedication.</p>

<p>If you really like Civil Engineering, you should definitely take the extra year. Normally engineering takes 5 years... but I think you will pull it off since you already have experienced college for 2 years.</p>

<p>Best Lucks!</p>

<p>Sorry I meant to say that I am a freshman, I'm just finishing up my first semester right now.</p>

<p>uwbball, I am delighted that you are interested in CE. The quick answer is not late at all. Graduation in 4 years with co-op and/or independent study/research is still very feasible if you are willing to take on above average course load and/or attend summer school. </p>

<p>The suggested CE degree plan is <a href="http://www.engr.wisc.edu/cee/current/undergrad/curriculum/ceefall2007/EffFall2007.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.engr.wisc.edu/cee/current/undergrad/curriculum/ceefall2007/EffFall2007.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>My recommendation is to talk to CE department and ask to spend 30 minutes with a professor/advisor to explore your interest and work out a course plan so you can apply into the CE department on Fall 08 or Spring 09. </p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>