Engineering Review Advice

Hey. So I finished my Texas A&M application very late (November 28) and was admitted but put under engineering review. I was wondering from others what the best next step would be for me, whether that be waiting it out or what. My stats are:

SAT: 1370/ 1600
GPA: 3.7/ 5.0
Many extracurriculars and some service hours
Adequate essays

I know this is a pretty rough picture of who I am but I was wondering if anyone had any advice before the engineering review process begins. I requested to be put into Civil and Electrical Engineering. Are those majors that end up filling fast? Do I have okay chances going through review? Is there anything I should do (attempt to switch majors if possible to switch back… I don’t know haha) Also, I am an out- of- state applicant if that affects anything. Thanks for any advice/ information.

@MJ5670 This is only my opinion on the matter so take this with a grain of salt. I am not positive about the nature of who exactly they let in via engineering review (In fact I am still in engineering review. My stats are listed in the forum below if you were curious). Based on going through forums and talking to a few people it seems as if those who qualified for academic admit were those who did fairly well in the review process. That is those who had an ACT score of 30+(SAT 2000+) and were in roughly the top 15% or so in their class. What was your class rank? Based on your test scores you appear to be in that range which bodes well for you! I know that they do the review holistically, though, so if your grades, test scores etc. are not on par with what they are looking for, you may be able to make that up in the subjective portion of your application? Were you an auto-admit? If you were placed in review for the university and were already admitted, they must have really liked you which would probably bode well for you as well in the review process. The late application should be your only concern. They do admit students into the COE on a rolling basis, which basically means that they commend those who took initiative to turn in their apps early. The spots in the COE fill up so there could be a chance that you may not be admitted even if you were more qualified than some who were already admitted. Once it is full, it is full… Also being OOS does not help. I do not mean to discourage you in any way as I’m sure like the rest of us you excelled at your high school and are extremely qualified to be in the engineering program at A&M. I do wish you the best of luck and if you are on anything but Pacific time right now, a Merry Christmas! As far as your other concerns… The major that you select does not matter so you do not need to worry about that. All students who are placed into the COE are placed into it under “General Engineering”, often with the designation of their preferred major in parenthesis. You will not decide or apply into the exact major you want until the second semester of your Fish year. Everyone is placed into a giant pool of engineers right now and separated a bit later. You will not hear from the COE until at least January 4 as it is closed until then for Holiday and it will sending decisions up into February at the latest I believe. You will be given one of a couple of options. A) Full admission into the College of Engineering (what we are all hoping for) B) Blinn Team: A partnership program with Blinn College in Bryan and with A&M. Basically you will take about one or more classes at A&M each semester and the rest will be taken at Blinn. You will still be a student at A&M I.e still go to sporting events, live on campus etc., but you would be taking a majority of your classes at Blinn. I believe that you have the opportunity to transfer after 2 years to A&M full time. C) I know of a couple of people who were placed in Gateway but I doubt you would so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. D) Switch to another major and complete that. You could also attempt to major in Physics or Math and Transfer after a bit, but I have not heard great things about the likelihood of that happening. Anyway I know this is a lot to read so I apologize for that. Good luck in this process and I hope to see you in August. Gig em’

My daughter cleared engineering review about this time last year. Her SAT was 1996, gpa 4.08 with APs & Honors classes.