Engineering Review Chances

Howdy!
I am a bit nervous about my engineering status as I turned in my application a bit late (I believe Nov. 17) and I was placed in engineering review.

When did you apply? November 17
When did you receive your admission decision? November 23
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review? Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice? Did you get in? College of Engineering (Chemical)…Placed in Engineering Review
Honors Program? No
Stats:
Act: 33 (34 Math, 34 English, 32 Reading, 32 Science)
Took 2 AP Tests: AP Calc BC: 5, AP US History: 5
Took 2 IB Tests: Geography SL: 6, Business and Management SL: 6
Class Rank: 10/398 (3%)
GPA: 3.91 UW 4.21 W
Full IB Diploma

Extra-Curriculars:
Nationally Ranked in Racquetball
Part of 2014 Racquetball National Championship Team (My high school won the national championship)
Varsity Lacrosse (Captain)
Senior Leadership Team at High School
State Speech and Debate
Multiple Leadership Positions in Clubs
Oregon Boys State (Mayor and Media Editor-in-Chief)
National Honor Society
We all have good EC’s so I’m not going to go into any more detail on this

Work Experience
Head Lifeguard: Supervise a staff of 38 employees
Community Service: 300+ hours
If anyone could give me their opinion it would be appreciated. Thanks and Gig 'em!

Are you kidding me… I would be utterly blown away if you did not get into the program. Give it a couple weeks I’m sure you will be officially accepted.

We’re there any specifically weak points on your application?

@EncisoEngineer Nothing weak specifically. My GPA isn’t that strong (I have 4 B’s- all in Lit and IB English Classes) but I want to be an Engineer so English evidently isn’t my strength anyway. I spent months on the three essays and I thought they were very solid and well done.

Don’t worry man. You have a stellar application. Even if you do not get in, you will most certainly be able to transfer in! I’m applying as a transfer next fall and like you I have B’s in my English classes. However, I have A’s in all my maths and sciences so I think we’re on the right path. Good luck!

Academic admits usually do pretty well in review, provided they have some other involvement (which you do). The ones who really should be nervous are the top 10% who are below the academic admit standards. I think you’ll be fine.

Thanks Y’all for the support. I did not get in today so I guess I will be waiting until January 4th at least for my decision. Fingers crossed!

As someone who got into the admitted to TAMU engineering under the rolling admission, I can pretty confidently say that you deserve a spot more than most (myself included), and their holistic review is a joke if they don’t let you in.

You’ll get in.

@fireonmytoast Thanks for the response. Really hoping you’re right! I have been a nervous wreck lately. I did get into UT engineering which is probably a good sign, considering it is more difficult to get into than the A&M engineering department but I would rather be an aggie 10x over. I would also most likely be in the Corps. Not sure if this helps at all in admissions…

Interesting you already have your acceptance to UT and not A&M. My son is just the opposite. He has his acceptance to A&M engineering and waiting on UT. He was an academic admit to A & M based on 2210 SAT and since in top 13% of class, wasn’t auto to UT, where he is still in review. He was IB his Jr. year but had to go back to AP his senior year because he has an internship with an aerospace engineering company through our district, which is during the school day.
He applied Oct 12 to both schools and heard back from A&M Nov 6. I imagine your late application is the only reason you are in review, as once they fill to 85% capacity of spots, the rest are filled by review.
I cannot imagine that you will not get in. Good luck.

@Thelma2 Considering that your son’s test scores are similar to mine respectively, I presume that he should have no problem getting into UT engineering. Especially considering that y’all are Texas Residents! I believe that the next wave of decisions from UT is being sent out in February sometime. Also I was in review as well from UT as I unfortunately do not live in Texas. If I got in via review, I can’t see your son not getting in, specially if he had that internship opportunity which I never had. Wish the best to your family!

@jarededberg Honestly I have no idea as to whether putting that you’re interested in the corps will help or not (it certainly won’t hurt, but it’s not like you need it anyway :P), but I do want to just say that you should make sure you know what you’re getting into if you haven’t already:

http://corpsofcadets.org/cadet-life/

I was seriously considering joining because I need some form of scholarship for an OOS tuition waiver to attend, but I got really turned off after looking into it a bit. I personally wouldn’t mind the physical training (and from your sports section I know you’d be fine), but jeez they control everything about your life, I thought college was supposed to be fun…

Anyway, I know this is a bit off topic, but considering we’re in pretty similar positions I just wanted to throw that out!

@fireonmytoast Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was looking at it for the OOS tuition waiver as well but I think it looks fun too… at least to an extent. I thought that the structure might do some good for me so I don’t get into too much trouble and I know they really value academics. One of the recruiters I talked to said that the engineering students in the Corps have higher grades on average than non-reg engineering students. As long as get into engineering review, I think I will go down in the Spring a couple of times and spend a night with the corps and see how it is. I have a couple of family members who were in the Corps, so I’ll talk to them about what they thought of it. I know on Weekdays you literally only do school and Corps stuff and sleep is limited which kind of sounds like a bummer. I might look more into it…

Does anyone else have any thoughts on the corps as a whole or with engineering?

Bump

If anyone is looking back on this in subsequent years, I was admitted into the College of Engineering with Preference in Chemical Engineering on January 29. Couldn’t be happier!