Engineering scholarship info please

<p>On the website, it states that engineering scholarship awarded to entering freshmen, will be made on June 30, 2009.</p>

<p>Considering tuition expenses will be a major part of the decision making process (where to go and what will it cost), this seems very late to me. The way I read it, you have to commit to VT and hope you will get some merit money to pay for it. Especially important to us OOS.</p>

<p>Anyone have other info. Is there general merit money offered to OOS that is awarded wtih acceptance letters?</p>

<p>this is all preliminary as my son applied RD, but regardless, all schools require a deposit/commitment on May 1.</p>

<p>Don't quote me on this but I believe that the June 30 scholarships are foundation based scholarships so they'd only want to award them to people that are actually attending.</p>

<p>CHUY- I was hoping you'd respond!! Thanks. Hope you are enjoying your break.</p>

<p>Any idea, in general, how merit awards are for OOS students? Guess we'll have to count on general merit (non engin) at least for a start (if accepted, of course!)</p>

<p>As an OOS Engineering freshman I only got about 4k in "Virginia Tech Grants" which I guess is what they call what you're talking about. I got some outside scholarships too but only 4k in grants directly from VT.</p>

<p>My S got $5,000 in a Virginia Tech Grant/Scholarship, I forget what it was called, when he was a freshman (OOS). Perhaps if he had kept his GPA up in the stratosphere it might have gotten renewed... As I recollect, the notification came sometime in May (this was May 2006).</p>