Engineering School Suggestions needed

No I don’t believe they state the stats for the scholarships, but it’s auto-merit based on stats, so that should give you a good idea. Your kid’s stats put him into the 2nd-highest category for that scholarship ($13K), I believe. As for stats of enrolled freshman, your son appears to be well above the 75th%ile in math SAT (530-640), and near the middle with verbal (520-640), according to their most recent common data set. Avg GPA is 3.6, so he’s above it weighted or unweighted. Acceptance rate was 65%. They have rolling admissions, and no app requirements beyond standard common app essay. I’m assuming that, for some reason, they are trying to encourage applicants that live in these regional scholars areas. You could ask the AO if that would give an edge for admissions, but it seems your kid is a good candidate for admission.

When I called admissions to ask about the scholarship GPA requirement, the student worker who answered the phone wasn’t sure and put me through to an AO who was super nice and helpful. She told me to call back if I thought of any other questions.

2 Likes

Good recommendations. Manhattan College, in particular, offers good financial aid and has rolling admissions.

1 Like

I missed the students in recovery. It seems like some colleges offer programs to assist here. Hers just one link. Some affordable but distant schools on the list.

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/teen-addiction/related/top-addiction-recovery-schools/

3 Likes

There are parties at UD and my son has been to several. He knows many students who love the parties and many who do not care much for parties. One of his roommates is a CS major who enjoys parties. One of his friends is an engineering major who doesn’t drink but likes to mingle at parties. He has a friend who loves to socialize in small unrowdy groups, but hates big event parties.

Just like at all schools, there are many types of students at UD. If a student wants parties, he/she will find parties at UD. If a student doesn’t want alcohol-based parties, those are very easy to avoid at UD.

5 Likes

My daughter was a tops stats student, just finished her first year as EE major and has 3.97 GPA, scholarship requires 3.5. I think she can keep it all 4 years. She is a very focused student.

1 Like

Well he just raised his reading score by 50 points! Superscore is now 1350!! Woohoo. Party going on over here :slight_smile: I actually got a hug. lol

11 Likes

As neela1 pointed out, you can’t get an ECE minor at Utah, they have say Biomedical Engineering as a minor but ECE or MechE they don’t. I can’t imagine minoring in an engineering discipline if you weren’t in the college or school of engineering. Even then it would be hard to add say add 5 EE courses to MechE major, which is probably why it’s not offered at most colleges.

delete

He is in at Iowa State! He got a 4 on his AP Chem exam and all A’s second semester except for psychology he got a B+. I know some people are hype on the SAT Score but he got an A in A/B Calc and AP Chem so I think that the SAT Score is more about test taking skills than brains.

11 Likes

Congratulations. Now that he is in at Iowa State, the pressure is off. He has a place to go. He has the ultimate safety. Everything else now can be a reach.

4 Likes

That was clearly the poster’s intent.

My EE major D is minoring in CS.

1 Like

A 1300 is a good score, especially the 710 in math for stem majors, I see it as being consistent with the course grades. In c/c land sometimes we do lose perspective on how good scores are.
Anyway, good luck with the rest of admissions!

5 Likes

Stay away from TCNJ Engineering program. My daughter could not get the tutoring or any help when she needed it. Look elsewhere. Very disappointed with the department and the guidance counselor as well.

1 Like

Consider NJIT if looking at NJ. They may offer enough merit to make it comparable to instate. Small classes, friendly faculty. My DS1 graduated from there in CS. The engineering departments have a lot of options. However, not a lot of choice of majors outside techy stuff. Honors college requires SAT scores, I think.

PennState is not direct admit to engineering. They list the requirements in theor website. When we were touring PA for DS2, Pitt seemed a kinder, gentler engineering school.

2 Likes

You’d find just the opposite at Union College in Schenectady, NY. I’m very impressed with their student support.

Union is the rare small Liberal Arts colleges with majors in Engineering. And this is not a recent addition. They began teaching engineering at Union back in 1845 and currently offer majors in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Computer, Biomedical, and Envronmentl Engineering and Nanochnology. Facilities are excellent and they are well financed with one of the top 100 endowments per student.

4 Likes

Hello all-an update!

Decisions are rolling in. So far we have:
Accepted:
PITT
Penn State
NJIT
Rowen
Iowa State
Dayton
Louisville

All of those are in budget. He enjoyed the Penn State football game he went to with his sister in November but an urban campus is more appealing. I think he will go for PITT. Purdue is still pending but according to him he would not go there even if he got in- He just want to see if he could get in LOL. UDel is also pending but it’s not really in budget and he has too many other good choices. Thanks for all your help!

9 Likes

He might want to start by eliminating some. The two things that you said that he liked, big time college atmosphere and urban really are not at Dayton. There might be something else that keeps it in play. Sometimes it it is easier to remove then choose.

3 Likes

Dayton regularly sells out its basketball games. No football but there’s a lot of school spirit around hoops. And while Dayton’s not a big city, it’s certainly not isolated either. It’s a medium size city of 150,000 with almost a million in the greater metro area.

If I were going to eliminate schools based on urban & big time atmosphere, I’d be starting with Rowen & NJIT. And for that matter, Penn State is about as far from urban as you can get.

3 Likes

He just got a big Yellow Envie from University of Delaware! They have a great Chemical Engineering program. That is above our budget without merit aid. Does anyone know if they typically give any money? I don’t know much about them.

Yes, we are going to decline a bunch of schools this weekend.

2 Likes