Engineering Software (Windows 10)

Current Dwight Look students, I just received my BYOD laptop but they have Windows 7 Professional installed. It came with an upgrade disk to Windows 10. It wasn’t until today that I realized I prefer Windows 10 to 7 (call me crazy)

Question is: Will upgrading my machine to Windows 10 keep me from running MatLab? I know that Mathematica will run on Windows 10.

Thanks from an excited Aero Major.

Not at all. I run matlab on windows 10, and it works just fine. Congrats and good luck on those ENGR 111 and 112, those classes made me hate matlab lol

@reconn78 I was just wondering what laptop you got and why(if any particular reason)?. I’m still trying to decide between the hp and dell .I probably wont get my laptop until late June but any input as to which to get would be appreciated.Thanks in advance

I actually just finished with installing Win 10 with MatLab/Mathematica and everything seems to be working great! Thanks @KievanRus.

@Ld I got the HP. It took a while to get it, because according to Avinext (the company you end up ordering it through) they don’t build the computer until it is paid for… I knew I didn’t want to the MacBook because of the pain of duel booting OSs. I ultimately picked the HP to save the 25$. The processor on the Dell was a hair faster, but the HP had 4 GB dedicated graphics memory compared to the Dell’s 2GB. At the end of the day they both look like identical machines though.

@reconn78 Thanks for the input. I’ve been doing some research and the dell seems to have a nicer build ,better battery, and nicer screen. The hp (based on the few reviews I’ve found) is cheaper and has a better warranty. I’ve interned in an IT department before and always noticed the more of the dell machines came in for repair but all the reviews for the dell are stellar(of these there are many) so I’m not sure.I can’t just make up my mind because this is a pretty expensive machine that supposed to last me 4 years.Sigh. Well again thanks for your two cents. See you at TAMU.

@reconn78 Was Matlab initially preinstalled on your laptop or did you have to install it seperately?

We just got back from NSC and the next step is ordering the laptop but my son is having a hard time deciding as well. Thanks for the input.

@Quirky813 I ended up purchasing the Dell laptop. Initially my struggle was between the hp and the dell but I decided on the dell after being informed that the university had made a mistake and were advertising a more premium version of the HP laptop through the byod website. They were promoting the nicer Hp Zbook Studio which was a more premium version of that laptop line and actually competed with the dell. The university noticed this (they honored the advertised deal for those that had bought it already) and replaced the it with the laptop they originally intended to show (the zbook 15) which a lower tier model. As it stands now the offerings from hp and lenovo are bigger, heavier , and offer a less premium build than the dell

My son wanted the Mac so we upgraded from what Mac is recommended. MacBook Pro - 15.4" Display intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - 256GB that is the offered upgrade but we did not purchase through tamu. He will have to add Windows operating system to it but isn’t worried about it. I am not a computer person, I want to open it and go, but he is a lot more versed in the machines than I.

since we bought it at Best Buy, we received a $60 coupon, which we used to buy the Apple gigabit ethernet adapter, the ethernet cable and the power strip with circuit breaker.

Since these computers no longer have disk drives, does TAMU use their own disk drives to install the hardware (there was so much info at NSC to absorb and I recall the tech guy saying something about mailing CD’s to students to upload the software (MS Word ?) or do the students take their computers to wherever to have office, windows, matlab etc installed. Or do we need to purchase our own external drive?

@Thelma2, Easy process: https://engineering.tamu.edu/easa/areas/academics/byod/software

@lee6666, does the Dell have an ethernet port? My son is leaning towards this one but I could have sworn that they said to ensure that it has an ethernet port. Maybe I made that up because I can’t see A&M recommending laptops that wouldn’t fit the needs of the kids.

Ethernet ports, I believe, are through an adapter. For your Dell, you would get an USB ethernet adapter. One end plugs into one of the USB ports on the computer and the ethernet plugs into the other. With DS mac, it has a lightning port that plug in (like an iphone charger) and the ethernet fits in the other end.
The university packages, if you scroll down, had the adapter included, that’s how I knew I needed to purchase one.
You can get them at Best Buy and I am sure other places.

Thank you @thelma, we just ordered the laptop.