Engineering STEP program

Hi guys,

I was recently invited to apply for the step program even though I was accepted into the university studies major. How many apply, and how many people get in each year. Also, how hard is it to maintain a B average in these courses especially after I’ve taken AP BC Calc and AP Chem?

I just looked on their website and it says only students accepted to the College of Engineering can attend this program. Are you sure you haven’t been moved from University Studies to Engineering? Did you originally apply to Engineering but were put in University Studies instead? Looks like a good program.

@sevmom S also received an invitation this week to apply to the STEP program. The letter implies it’s for VT engineering school applicants who were accepted instead into the university studies program (i.e., not accepted into the engineering school). It says if you complete the program with a “B” in each course and pass the calc exam, then you would be put on the engineering school track. We calculated it would cost S about $5000 for the program, though. Apparently, S isn’t convinced and is still on the UCF engineering track.

Wonder if they did not get enough engineering kids signing up since it is an extra cost ? Things really have been changing on these types of things. In 2009, my son was put into University Studies but there was a clear path then , great advising, to enable kids to move to General Engineering. He was moved very quickly into Engineering after doing very well his first semester (taking the calculus, physics that the engineering students were taking). His SAT’s were always okay but high school grades could have been better so I had no issue with them placing him initially into US. There was no option at the time that I know of like this summer STEP program that US kids could do to move into engineering right away. Might be a good option if a kid really wants to go to Virginia Tech in engineering- but the extra cost is nothing to sneeze at! We never looked into OOS schools. If he had not gone to VT, he would have headed to JMU or GMU. If your son really likes UCF OOS and the cost is within your comfort zone, that is a tough call. If he is happy with UCF and does well there, he should have plenty of opportunities. Good luck to those making final decisions!.

Thanks @sevmom. S received a sizeable scholarship from UCF that makes the total college cost comparable to Virginia Tech and George Mason University (where he also applied and was accepted). The biggest plus, though, is that S was admitted into UCF’s Burnett Honors College, which allows for a number of smaller classes, more individualized advising, and priority registration for classes – the latter which gives S a chance to graduate after 8 semesters. (Well, he would say the biggest plus is the weather.) I think the pull toward Va. Tech is the national reputation and several of his friends going to the engineering school there, but he also wants to stake out on his own, loves UCF, and wants to live in Florida after he graduates, so I think UCF will win out. Virginia Tech, though, is a great school and the best engineering school in the state (and – oops – I’m saying this as a University of Virginia grad).

Hey, @VABogart VT probably is the best engineering school in the state (and I’m saying this as the mom of a University of Virginia engineering grad as well). :slight_smile: UCF sound like a great fit for your son! All the best to him AND to you!