Engineering Tablet Use Question

<p>How often is the tablet's touch screen capabilities actually used in engineering classes and from a strictly practical point of view, are these tablets really worth it, disregarding the warranty and protection benefit the college gives you. Thanks.</p>

<p>also, exactly how are they used in class?</p>

<p>i heard from multiple people, even those who work at the university bookstore, that the touch capabilities are only used freshmen year.</p>

<p>If Im planning to use the Bamboo usb tablet, are there certain programs I should download that I will need in order to keep up with the people who have the Tablet PCs, or will the software the usb tablet originally installs get me by?</p>

<p>the program that comes with the bamboo is all you need. and my guess it, that as long as you can complete the tasks given, the professors wont penalize you for not having a tablet</p>

<p>I’m in CS and honestly I don’t ever use it at all. I use my tablet as a laptop basically. No professors in my 2000/3000/4000 level classes don’t ever care or use it. Actually I had one professor who blatantly said around the time they voted to extend the tablet requirement last year that the idea is stupid and a waste of money ect. So a lot of professors don’t care at least in the CS department. I believe you mostly use it your freshman year. Why the tablet requirement exists, I have no clue. I think it’s money related somehow with the companies.</p>

<p>Awesome, thanks.</p>

<p>I am now a sophomore in computer engineering here at VT. DO NOT GET THE TABLET. Me and at least half of my class hates them. They have throttling issues, are very cheaply built, and horrible battery life. You pay at least triple of what the hardware is really worth. Right now I’m going to try to sell my fujitsu T900 on ebay… hoping I can get at least some money to compensate for the rip off. </p>

<p>Get a usb bamboo tablet, you will never regret it. Get anything Sony, Asus, even <em>cringe</em> a mac. Unless you have a extreme want or need to get a tablet, I would highly recommend that you don’t.</p>

<p>Oh and the professors don’t care what you use in class and won’t single you out or penalize you or anything like that.</p>

<p>just bought an asus laptop and usb bamboo tablet, thanks for all the advice</p>

<p>good choice. which asus did you get?
i went with the hp dm4x + bamboo tablet</p>

<p>i got the ASUS U56E, much cheaper than the tablets</p>

<p>Anyone know if they use tablets for tests, or is it just for homework and classwork</p>

<p>Tablets aren’t used for tests. All testing is done using a pen and paper.</p>

<p>The Tablet “requirement” is a joke. Well established. The main reasons you “need” the tablet are:</p>

<ol>
<li>To take notes in class on. Can’t use old school pen and paper since we’re “inventing the future” (sarcasm).
2.Interact with the professor/class through Dyknow. Dyknow is like a nifty interactive powerpoint presentation. You’ll see.
3.Draw. As an engineer you got to illustrate your ideas. So when you start engineering drawings you need something to write on.</li>
</ol>

<p>And guess what, you don’t “need” a $3,000 laptop for any of those.

1. I know a lot of people prefer to take notes the old fashioned pen and paper method… me being one of them. But, if you really want to take notes digitally then guess what you paid for your engineering software bundle? OneNote, A note taking software and a PDF editing software for pens. AND Word accepts pen input as well. No need for special tablets there. Bamboo tablet scores!
    2.Dyknow (also in engineering bundle) doesn’t discriminate. Bamboo pen works flawlessly. 2-0 Bamboo tablet!
    3.Whether your in class using Dyknow or in your dorm doing homework on a PDF file the bamboo tablet still works. And the $3000 tablet PC goes down 0-3!</p>

<p>Fact is EVERY reason you would “need” the pen input on those $3000 laptops for school work can be used with the $100 bamboo option instead. The only real problem with getting the bamboo tablet is that Tech makes it clear that they “require” tablets and back it up with their warranty services. So breaking the rules seems to be a problem. </p>

<p>:) NOT! I never had a teacher single me out or differentiate my work from anybody else because I used the bamboo tablet. Not even a weird “*** is that” look when walking around the room. Nothing. You won’t get kicked out of class. As long as you do your work no one cares. I can guarantee you will get fellow students asking what it is and/or why you have a normal laptop and they’re all gonna compliment you for it. Especially once they play with their tablets for a month. You’ll look like a genius</p>

<p>If you already bought one… Sorry bud. Have fun</p>

<p><em>EDIT</em> since when does College board edit W,T,F?</p>

<p>Just because YOU don’t find the laptops useful, doesn’t mean that other students feel the same way. My son absolutely loves his…(and $3000 is high- his was quite a bit less than that).</p>

<p>The tablets can be pretty useful. Eventually (with the advent of Windows 8 and such) all portable computers are going to have some tablet functionality anyway. It’s just that right now they’re expensive and may still have some nagging issues that need to be resolved. My roommate, who has a Lenovo tablet, prefers to do his engineering homework with simple pen and paper because he doesn’t like writing on his tablet due to issues with calibration. Then there’s the poor battery life with Fujitsus and other such complaints. If your son is happy with his tablet and it lasts him for at least a year, good. As for me, my laptop, which I purchased for relatively cheap compared to bookstore prices, works perfectly and I have no issues using DyKnow or completing assignments with my tablet (IMO it’s easier to type out my assignments than write them, but I can draw diagrams fine).</p>