engineering technology

<p>I was recently accepted into Mechanical Engineering Technology at Purdue. I am having trouble deciding if I should go to Purdue or go to Virginia Tech where I got into Mechanical Engineering. If anyone knows about or is in MET at purdue could you please help me out? ... Is there a big workload?... Do alot of people have trouble and switch majors? and Do you know anything about the differences between MET and ME?</p>

<p>My son could give you an exact answer about MET and ME, I asked him the same question, sorry I don't remember the answer. He is going to do Mech E and another major or minor and is very impressed by the labs and opportunities at Purdue.</p>

<p>Purdue and Virginia Tech are both super schools for mech e although if you go by the ratings, Purdue is higher. Engineering itself is a tremendous amount of work, but yes, you can have a life and find time for fun. You have to prioritize. All engineering freshmen at Purdue start out in freshmen engineering or freshmen engineering honors. I think they purposely load on a ton of work in that fresh engineering class to weed out those not serious as there are a lot of kids dropping after the first semester. Right about now, the freshmen are deciding which discipline to go into. The f.e. class offers you views of all the different eng so you can make an educated decision.</p>

<p>It's not an easy major but if you love that type of thing like my son, it's a lot of fun to learn.</p>

<p>I am currently enrolled at Purdue as a student in Industrial Technology, which is basically MET - almost half my required curriculum is MET based. I'll quickly answer your questions as I'm a little short on time:</p>

<p>Do you know anything about the differences between MET and ME?</p>

<p>Yes. ME and MET are different. ME is much harder and requires a lot more math/phyics and other sciences. Google for the curriculum for either major and compare the course load, you will see what a contrast the two have with each other. MET is more 'hands on' while ME is more theory/number crunching. With MET you will be required to machine various parts in the engineering technology building located in Knoy hall. </p>

<p>Do a lot of people have trouble and switch majors?</p>

<p>Sure they do. People grow up, realize they are more interested in political science, economics, management, etc. Others transfer because they weren't prepared to handle the workload. That's not to say other majors won't require a lot of work, they will, so don't base your decision on workload alone.</p>

<p>As far as Purdue/VT - see who will allocate more financial aid for you and then base your decision on that. Yes Purdue is rated higher, but if you're paying $25k/year out of state when you could go to VT for $5k/year is it worth it to go to Purdue?</p>