Engineering v. MIS

<p>My DS is currently waffling about majors (and which college he’s going to attend) next fall. He is declared as Engineering at Bama and we’ve done the tour of the awesome facilities. However, right now, he’s starting to lean towards MIS at the Business School (even though that means no Engineering scholarship). He also thought about Comp. Sci - but after his AP Comp. Sci class this year, is deciding that being a programmer is not his calling. He’s going to come in with a boatload (like 38) of AP credits. He’s Presidential and Honors.</p>

<p>I know that the “vibe” of Culverhouse is quite different from the Engineering School. WE didn’t get over there when we were down for Capstone Scholars weekend. I couldn’t find any recent discussions about the MIS program on the board, so figured I see what the current feeling was. His current gang at school is the FIRST Robotics Team - quirky, nerdy, smart group of kids. He’s not the “preppy” sort of kid that I visualize in B. school. Any input is appreciated about the MIS program. Thanks!</p>

<p>um … MIS is pretty much programming.</p>

<p>the MIS dept at UA is quite good, though, from what i have heard.</p>

<p>The MIS program at Bama is outstanding. It will include programming. It’s less math, though.
The B-school tends to be preppy because the “uniform” expected once working is professional. </p>

<p>Maybe your son really needs to be in eng’g, but not CS.</p>

<p>What are his strengths? math? chemistry? bio? spacial? stats? </p>

<p>If he’s robotics, then why isn’t he MechE???</p>

<p>It is easier to go from an engineering-based course of study to a more business-oriented course of study, than the other way around. Eng’g as a major requires that you start taking your core eng’g coursework almost from the get-go. My advice usually would be to start in eng’g. But since your S has incoming AP credits, a lot of the introductory courses are obviously already taken care of (math, chem, physics, etc.?), leaving some room in the schedule his first year to ‘find’ himself in either field. Have him print out both flowcharts for both majors and really delve into the courses (esp. upper division coursework) using the course catalog to see which interests him more. If you visit, have him sit in on both majors classes (level 300) to hear for himself what topics are discussed. Try to find a student ambassador in both majors/colleges to talk with. (The HC and CoE can facilitate that for you.) UA is offering a couple new eng’g programs, too, so check those out as well.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. He’s the CFO of the Robotics team - although he has also done electrical work and is one of the drivers of the competition robot. He hasn’t been so involved in the mechanical aspects. He likes science (AP Physics) but has never really enjoyed his math classes which I think is his primary reason for veering away from Engineering. He survived Calculus A/B but it was painful. He’s had the equivalent of the Freshman Engineering class at his high school also. I think what he really enjoys is applied IT (aka MIS - the field I’m in). He’s A+ certified (computer tech) and is taking a Cisco course (to be CNA certified) - so he really enjoys the hand-on, applications focused version of computing. I don’t think the theory and a real focus on programming would be his thing. I could see him designing networks or databases or doing data analysis. I’m also thinking he’d enjoy the business aspects of MIS. </p>

<p>I thought about pushing Engineering for at least the first year, but I just remember how painful his math classes have been for the past few years. Ultimately it’s his decision - but I just want him to make an informed decision.</p>

<p>The CoE ambassador that we hung out with was very encouraging about the tutoring etc. that was available for math struggles (if one sought out the opportunity). Don’t think we’ll get down to T’town again before BamaBound - although there is a DC reception coming up. Maybe there will be someone there who can also give him some guidance.</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure that Dad2ILD’s daughter is an MIS major. If he doesn’t jump in here you might want to message him. </p>

<p>^^^
Yes, I think she is.</p>

<p>"was very encouraging about the tutoring etc. that was available for math struggles (if one sought out the opportunity). "</p>

<p>Yes…if he decides to go with eng’g, I would have him retake Calc I for the easy A. And then when he moves onto Calc II and so forth, take advantage of free tutoring from THE BEGINNING…don’t wait til behind. </p>

<p>I don’t know if his struggles in math have been because of poor teaching or real struggles. There are SO MANY poor High School math teachers.</p>

<p>Yeah - don’t even get me started on that thread… :frowning: We have a great school system - but the math teachers have been sometimes sub-standard. He would definitely retake Calc. Does seem to make more sense to him by using it for practical applications as they do in AP Physics w/Calculus. Not sure he’ll ever be a math lover though…</p>

<p>"but the math teachers have been sometimes sub-standard. "</p>

<p>It’s really hard for high schools to hire strong math folks with good skills at teaching concepts. Most folks that are great at math are doing other jobs. </p>

<p>Dr. Jim Gleason at Bama has made it his life’s work to improve America’s math teachers. If a student has a chance to take any of his classes do so. He doesn’t just teach the “how,” but also teaches the “why”. </p>

<p><a href=“http://math.ua.edu/faculty_and_staff/faculty_directory/g/jgleason.php”>http://math.ua.edu/faculty_and_staff/faculty_directory/g/jgleason.php&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I’m glad to see that he’s now tenured. When my son had him, Dr. Gleason was hoping for tenure.</p>

<p>He also is known to invite his classes to his family home for food and board games. He has 5 kids and they all play, too. </p>

<p>While there are some differences in the overall vibe of the business school compared to the College of Engineering, students who’d do well in one will typically do well in the other. MIS has a different vibe than both colleges, though it’s officially in the business school. I’d liken the overall vibe of the MIS program more to that of the MBA program. </p>

<p>As areomom mentioned, it’s typically a lot easier to move from engineering to business than vice versa. A lot of students in the more quantitative business programs have a background in engineering.</p>

<p>Has he considered the STEM path to the MBA? My son is currently in that program and it is the best of both worlds - science, technology, engineering or mathematics while concurrently taking business classes toward an MBA in the 5th year. That being said, the MIS program at UA is very strong and from what I understand quite successful in terms of placing the graduates.</p>

<p>

Sounds a lot like me. I did not and do not particularly care for math for the sake of math. I did not find calculus and differential equations enjoyable or easy. I did, however, enjoy all of my engineering and physics type classes. The math in these classes can also be difficult but there was a “purpose” to it. Having worked as a mechanical engineer now for around 25 years, I am glad I struggled through those math classes. As a practicing engineer, the concepts of derivative, integrals, differential equations, etc have been important but I haven’t actually put a pencil to paper and worked one out in probably 25 years.
Just my experience.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for all of the thoughtful responses. I will definitely share this thread with my DS!</p>

<p>My son was an ee major for a year and a half, then changed to MIS. He is really thriving, and it seems like a great fit. </p>