Engineering

<p>How hard is the engineering workload? Can someone give me an idea. My goal is to get a 3.6+, am i being reallistic?</p>

<p>same here.. i want to transfer out.. i am willing to study every day for atlest like 3 hours..</p>

<p>Wow...VT isnt THAT bad....I actually like it here a lot--youre making it seem that youll do absolutely anything to get out of this hellhole. Its actually a great school...especially for engineering.</p>

<p>The engineering curriculum is very "heavy." To get a 3.6+ it depends which classes youre taking and ultimately how hard you work. There are freshmen engineers here that had 4.0+ and 1380+ and got 2.4s last semester. Its definitely tough...but if youre willing to work, you should be fine.</p>

<p>about how many hours would you say you studied per day on non exam days, and on exam days VTengineer?</p>

<p>Well it depends what classes youre taking. On average, I would say that I would spend about 3 hours studying on non-exam days. For engineering exams however, I would study about 10-12 hours collectively starting 2 days before the exam occurs. Youll see a HUGE contrast in the difficulty of work from engineering to non-engineering related classes.</p>

<p>do those hours include homework? or just extra studying?</p>

<p>Without homework.</p>

<p>holy ****... are you kidding me?</p>

<p>i dont think the work will be the bad part, i think the bad part will be ur business roommate saying "hey man, lets go here all these ppl are going woo!!!", and you having to say"nooo i gotta study my calculus/engineering/physics"</p>

<p>Is there a lot of exams? Or is there only a few exams that count for most of your grades?</p>

<p>Only a few exams that count for the majority of your grade...for example...in most of my classes I have 3-4 exams that count for the overwhelming majority of my overall grade in classes. However, in some classes youll either have a recitation/homework grade that also counts toward your final grade.</p>

<p>is the eng work load different for different kinds of engineering? are you a freshman, VTEng? if i decide to go eng, it would be for mining eng. do you know anybody in Mining Eng? if so, could i have their AIM screen name so i can bombard them with questions?</p>

<p>thanks</p>

<p>Im now a Sophomore Engineering student!!! WoooHOOOO!! :) and yes, the courseload for the different types of engineering vary. Mining seems to be a bit lighter in courseload than say Chemical or Electrical. However, Mining is the best program that VT offers--its also the oldest Mining Engineering program in the country. You'll be happy that you're coming to VT because of the strength of the Mining Program here...also, Mining firms are prevalent around the area, so you shouldnt have any problem at all finding any jobs. One of my best friends is studying Mining...but im sorry he doesnt have a screen name. :(</p>

<p>i dont really think i want to be an engineer... i want to be an air force pilot, and they dont care what your degree is in, so i figure i should major in whatever interests me, and in this case its mining :)</p>