ENGR 142, and Other BB Concerns

<p>Hey y’all! I will be heading to T-town tomorrow for my Bama Bound on Thursday and Friday. Obviously my parents and I have been trying to figure out a good schedule for me, but there are a few things I’m still unsure of.</p>

<p>First and foremost, I was planning on taking ENGR 142 to satisfy 131 AND 141, as well as an honors credit. According to the course description, ENGR 142 is:
“An accelerated course for students in all engineering disciplines that is open to students with minimum composite scores of 28 ACT or 1240 ACT and an AP Physics exam score of 3 or higher.”
However, even though my scores are definitely high enough to qualify me for the course, I do not have an AP Physics credit (my high school didn’t offer physics). What I DO have is 4 hours of Physics from Governor’s School last summer. I was wondering if this would qualify me for the class. If so, that would make things a bit easier on me. If not, I know that there is a section of ENGR 131 where I had planned to fit 142, so it’s not the end of the world. The fact that it was Modern (Quantum) Physics rather than Classical Physics probably makes a difference, too, though. . .</p>

<p>Another thing I was wondering about is this “depth study” in HI, SB, HU, L, or FA. What exactly is that? I have DE credit for Intro to Psych (PY101), and that counts as an HI/SB class, as far as I can tell on DegreeWorks. But if, say, I wanted to make that my Depth Study area, would I just have to take another Psych class (e.g. PY 207)?
Beyond that, I guess I would have 3 more credits in HI/SB and 9 more credits in HU/L/FA to complete as a ChemE major, right?</p>

<p>Finally, I just want to make absolutely sure. . . I hear a lot of people talking about how they took Calc BC and did well, yet are starting with either Honors Calc I or Standard Calc II. This throws me off slightly because I have only had the opportunity to take Calc AB, yet I still intend to go into Honors Calc II in the spring. I am definitely a math person, and I’m almost certain I aced the AP test. But is skipping Calc I a mistake? I just feel like I have fully learned the material, and as a ChemE/CBH student, I need all of the credits I can get.</p>

<p>Whew, this whole scheduling business is stressful! Haha, thanks in advance. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Welcome TNTide5! Regarding this question, “I do not have an AP Physics credit (my high school didn’t offer physics). What I DO have is 4 hours of Physics from Governor’s School last summer. I was wondering if this would qualify me for the class.” I would suggest you email someone tonight so they can get that answer to you in time. Probably I would ask the head of the FEP Freshman Engr Program. </p>

<p>[Contact</a> Us - About the College - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://eng.ua.edu/about/contact/]Contact”>Contact Us – College of Engineering | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>Greg Singleton
Director of Engineering Student Services
Director of Multicultural Engineering Program
Departments
Engineering Student Services
Contact Information
Office: 251 H.M. Comer
E-mail: Send an e-mail
Phone: (205) 348-1447
Fax: (205) 348-0591</p>

<p>I think you are correct about the “depth” of study question. I think it is better to read the catalog than to depend on DegreeWorks. YMMV</p>

<p>Are you taking any math in the fall? If you have a good score in Calc AB you can skip Calculus 1. You can also take Calc 1 in the fall. You would probably get an A and forego the AP credit. Your choice. Good luck to you! Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Cuttlefish,</p>

<p>Thank you! I shot them an email, so hopefully I will get a response in the next couple of days.</p>

<p>And yes, the catalog is much clearer to me at this point, but I was going off of DegreeWorks to back up my hunch that things worked the way I thought they did. Hopefully I will get the hang of it in time!</p>

<p>No, I am not planning on taking a math course in the fall. My high school Calc teacher told me she thought I should skip to Calc II, and I really would prefer to take as many honors as I can; I was just making sure that I’m not doing something that I would regret!</p>

<p>Sounds like you have it all under control. I read your post again and congratulations on making it into CBH. My D is in CBH and an EE major. I am sure you will enjoy your courses. It is helpful to take Calc 2 concurrently with Physics 105. I assume that is what you are doing.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>My D who is currently at Bama Bound said that effective This year, AP Physics is no longer a pre-rec.</p>

<p>Thank you Cuttlefish! I am very excited for all things Alabama, especially CBH! Is your daughter in my CBH class, or is she an upperclassman?
I am actually planning to take Calc II before Physics; if I try for a Physics class in the Spring, I may not make it to next summer in one piece. Haha!</p>

<p>Sniner, thank you so much! That is a relief. I believe I know who your daughter is, actually. I look forward to getting to know her next year! Congrats to her on CBH as well. Which section of CBH 101 will she be in?</p>

<p>I’m in Tuscaloosa once more, and loving it! Getting together with two of my suitemates at Dreamland. . . :)</p>

<p>^^ My D will be a soph next year. Sounds like you are enjoying T-town and the whole experience. Good luck with BB and your schedule.</p>

<p>TnTide5: I think she is shooting for the 12:00 class. Did you meet her during Bama Bound? She seems to be having a blast as do you.</p>

<p>Awesome! :slight_smile: Thanks!
And Sniner, I think I’m going for that section too! But no, I did not meet her during BB; my BB starts tomorrow.</p>

<p>My D was able to get in ENGR 142 and she didn’t take AP Physics.</p>

<p>TAKE ENG 142!!!
They will explain the specific reason this course has been combined…and if you qualify…at BB.</p>

<p>For those taking ENGR 142, if the book store info is correct, the book is available as a free pdf download from the publisher</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.ncees.org/documents/public/fe_reference_handbook.pdf[/url]”>www.ncees.org/documents/public/fe_reference_handbook.pdf</a></p>