Enrollment Deposit Confusion

<p>

Not a fan of this advice at all on two counts.</p>

<p>Forget the common app advice Bama is a member of the NACAC whose members agree to not allow double deposits.<br>

</p>

<p>In addition … we have no idea what the second school under consideration is and what there position on double depositing is … I’d hate for a student to lose options because of advice from internet strangers.</p>

<p>You can submit <em>one</em> of the enrollment deposits now and forfeit it if you change your mind without breaking the rules and running whatever risk that raises.</p>

<p>Why I really hate this approach is because I believe the biggest way I teach is my kids is with my example … and I’d have a heck of time explaining my rationale for this decision … “when it’s time to make a decision it’s OK to break the rules if it’s to your advantage and this strategy works especially well when most other people follow the rules and you take advantage of their following the rules”</p>

<p>“whose members agree to not allow double deposits”</p>

<p>Really what does that mean? lol How would one school not “allow” a double deposit? Seriously. Each school doesn’t even know where another school has deposited. That sentence is ridiculous. I agree not to “allow” my husband to commit bigamy…</p>

<p>Anyway…if there were any ramifications, then we would be long hearing about them on CC.</p>

<p>and if the SCHOOLS aren’t supposed to accept double deposits, then the SCHOOLS are wrong for doing so. </p>

<p>and…from what I’ve read, “double depositing” has more to do with AFTER MAY 1st. Not long before that.</p>

<p>If you don’t want to double deposit then fine. But, schools are creating this situation themselves by essentially requiring early deposits in order to get housing. since schools have set up procedures that get in the way of following “their other rules,” then I wouldn’t feel the least bit obligated to follow some “no double depositing rule”. </p>

<p>Now if schools really want to get rid of this problem then let students do “housing deposits” w/o enrollment deposits. Until then, I see nothing wrong with people navigating the situation the best they can.</p>

<p>When you read the “why you shouldn’t double deposit” it clearly isn’t dealing with Rolling Admissions where people are depositing long before May 1st…and then deciding by May 1st where to enroll.</p>

<p>The issue is dealing with those who double deposit on or after May 1st because how it all affects waitlists, FA, etc. </p>

<p>The Main Reasons People Double Deposit [on or after May 1st] is:</p>

<p>To buy time to decide on a*college when the student has been accepted by more than one. The usual decision deadline is May 1; by double depositing, a student can delay deciding until fall.</p>

<p>To continue negotiating financial aid offers with more than one college past the May 1 decision deadline.</p>

<p>Because the student is on a waiting list at one college and wants to ensure<em>enrollment somewhere in case of being</em>turned down. This scenario is the only one in which NACAC considers double depositing acceptable.</p>

<p>so…somebody who double deposits NOW and then makes a decision next spring by May 1st isn’t causing the same problems.</p>

<p>*Consider instituting a policy of sending each student’s final transcript to only one college.
*</p>

<p>^^ The fact that the above is instructed to GC’s clearly suggests that the issue is dealing with those who have outstanding double deposits on or after May 1st.</p>

<p>It would be interesting to know which schools, other than Alabama, require acceptance of admission before May 1 in order to apply for housing. Of the twenty or so schools whose policies I am familiar with from having had one or more children admitted, Alabama was the only one that required the payment of the admission deposit before May 1 to apply for housing. (Most of these did require the payment of some sort of housing application fee or deposit – some of which were refundable and others of which were not.)</p>

<p>Really what does that mean? lol How would one school not “allow” a double deposit? Seriously. Each school doesn’t even know where another school has deposited</p>

<p>oops … should be…</p>

<p>Really what does that mean? lol How would one school not “allow” a double deposit? Seriously. Each school doesn’t even know where else a student has deposited</p>

<p>I’ve been googling the subject of Double Depositing and clearly the concern is with those who “double deposit” to keep two or more spots open after May 1st. </p>

<p>It’s interesting because we just went thru the med school app process with S2. With each acceptance an enrollment deposit was requested. So, we ended up sending in 3 deposits. However, a final decision must be made by a May 15th. If you have multiple deposits after that date, then you’re in trouble.</p>

<p>Texas Tech has already had potential students making enrollment and housing deposits in order to get in line for housing in the Fall. There are others, Bama and TT are the 2 I am more familiar with.</p>

<p>My son is in this situation with the University of Colorado. You have to sign an intent to enroll before you can apply for housing, which is first come, first served. So we are going to sign the intent, etc., and then in the off chance he gets into his stretch school at the end of March, we’ll deal with it then. Pretty annoying.</p>

<p>Thanks again everyone for their responses… this whole situation is just frustrating.</p>

<p>I ultimately decided against paying the deposit back in October, because I felt that it violates the CommonApp agreement. It specifically states that I will send an enrollment deposit to only one institution, unless gotten off a waitlist.</p>

<p>I’m still heavily considering Bama. We visited, loved it, amazing scholarships, etc., but I don’t hear back from my CommonApp schools until late March/April 1, which is way after the February 1 deadline to be able to select my own dorm, if I decide on Bama. This housing issue is really making me reconsider this stance. I keep hearing differing opinions on this all the time and don’t know which one to follow. I slowly forgot about this issue until today (which I wish I hadn’t but I can’t dwell on that haha), as it’s starting to get closer and closer to the end of my senior year. I plan on calling the admissions offices at the CommonApp schools I’m applying to and seeing their stance on this… if they say its all right, I’ll most likely submit the deposits.</p>

<p>Anyway, I guess what I’m getting at is this: is submitting by December 31/early January “too late” to get honors housing? I really would prefer honors housing, or at least a suite-style dorm, as I’m not big on the traditional-style dorms, and it’s a big preference for me, though definitely not all-or-nothing. I’m just curious to read if those who have gone through this/are currently going through this consider these dates “late” or not, as I’ve read that Bama has had housing crunches before. Thanks again everyone! :)</p>

<p>This is from the FAQs on the UA “Dean of Students” website:
<a href=“http://dos.ua.edu/faq.cfm”>http://dos.ua.edu/faq.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>When should I submit my housing application?</p>

<p>You should apply for housing as soon as you are admitted to the University and pay your $200.00 Freshman Enrollment Deposit. The date on which you can first select your residence hall room is determined by 1) your housing application date, 2) living-learning community participation, if any, and 3) any special needs. In other words, the earlier you apply for housing, the sooner you get to pick your room and the more choices you will have.</p>

<p>What if I apply for housing and decide not to attend UA?</p>

<p>If you do not attend the University, you can receive a refund of your $225.00 prepayment. To cancel your housing application, e-mail <a href=“mailto:mpknight@sa.ua.edu”>mpknight@sa.ua.edu</a>. Include your CWID, name, and the the reason you are cancelling your application. Because the prepayment is refundable, you are strongly urged to apply for housing, even if you have not made your final decision regarding the school you will attend. Your room selection date is determined in part by the date that you apply for housing.</p>

<p>So … Alabama actually instructs ALL admitted students to 1) pay the enrollment deposit and 2) apply for housing even if they aren’t sure they want to go to UA!!!</p>

<p>I was so confused about the ethical implication of the statement on the common app that I called my son’s guidance counselor for clarification. She told me that due to the information posted by UA (above), it is ok to deposit at UA even if you aren’t sure if you will go there. If later on you decide on a different college simply inform UA that you no longer plan to attend PRIOR to submitting your deposit on the next school.</p>

<p>^^ A good, common sense approach by your GC. My D didn’t apply to any common app schools, but even if she had we would not have hesitated to make the deposit at UA in October, even though she didn’t make a final decision until the spring…</p>