Environmental Sciences/Studies colleges

I also wonder about Studies vs. Science - very different right?

I’m sure OP’s kid will find their way - and if not, that’s why so many go to grad school :slight_smile: I’m sure MBA and MPA programs are full of ES undergrads. And many other majors…I was History/Broadcast Journalism…if you fall, you pick yourself up.

Yes I suspect so, none of D’s friends had the classes in chemistry etc that would qualify them for environmental remediation, testing etc (or were interested in that). They found it hard to get decently paid positions in policy and similar which was their focus (in Environmental Studies).

I was trying to help the sister of my daughter’s friend - she was in Science at UTC but kind of flaked out - but she needed help even formulating a resume, etc.

The amount of jobs posted were certainly less than others and often part time.

Well - I do think though OP’s daughter has interests (for now) - she’s in 11th grade. Intererests change - but i’m sure OP will have lots more updates.

And like any kid - getting a job isn’t easy - but for those who try, short of an economic collapse, hopefully they’ll be ok.

Okay, finally got practice digital PSAT score back. 1430 - 730 English, 700 math. I’m not sure how the digital version will go in terms of NMSQT. She thought it seemed easier because it was shorter but she also have another year of school.

1 Like

Okay, were are trying to decide between going to Maine or California for our spring break. We won’t be able to visit both while school is in session this year. What do you think the biggest differences between Bates and Pitzer are? Also, is Bates more sports focused than Pitzer and Macalester? Thanks!

Biggest difference to me for Bates/Pitzer: Pitzer shares a campus (I know, I know, they’re technically separate … but they are all adjoining, and from space, look like one campus :slight_smile: ), classes, etc, with four other schools, leading to a much larger student body, and feels (to me) more like a larger school with a strong residential college program, or a place that has “schools” that you are admitted to.

Bates is more sports focused than Pitzer/Macalester, in my second-hand experience, but that is not a major difference - not like we’re comparing Colgate and Reed.

3 Likes

D went to a Pitzer visit at her high school. She liked the research, study abroad, community learning, etc. She does not dig the SoCal vibe. The dorms look like Melrose Place (my words not hers lol). She’ll still apply, but I’m thinking Macalester or Bates will be her top choice. Maybe. lol

So she went to a visit at her hs but not the school itself and ?

Everyone has research and study abroad. Schools highlight this but it’s not a differentiator.

You can’t tell a campus from a hs meeting or even truly from a virtual tour.

But if she doesn’t like (preferably after more than a hs visit), then don’t apply and spend time on an app she will like.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.