Essay Length

<p>My essay for the first one is almost 800 words (I'd rather overwrite and cut down than underwrite and BS the rest to bulk up). Obviously I have to cut it down, but by how much?</p>

<p>Also, I really don't have a good topic for the second one. I have a 30 ACT (expecting higher on the october one) with a 3.7UW GPA. I will have very strong recommendations and decent ECs. Is the second short answer really necessary? I don't want to put something there just for the sake of putting it there.</p>

<p>My first essay was 587 words and my second 584 and I got in, but of course, it's more about what you write than how much you write. I don't think they would be super picky about the length as long as it wasn't completely excessive. If you can cut it down a little that might be nice, but I wouldn't sacrifice quality material if that's what would end up happening.</p>

<p>As for not writing a second essay, it may be risky. On the Application Tips sheet they have on the website it states-</p>

<p>"Write on Both Topics: There are two statements. Write on both. Those who do not are less likely to be admitted."</p>

<ul>
<li>Undergraduate</a> Admissions at UW-Madison: Application Statements Tip Sheet</li>
</ul>

<p>I can totally sympathize with the essays being really tricky to come up with though, that part was not at all fun. </p>

<p>Best of luck!</p>

<p>I wouldn't worry about cutting it down. My son's essay was over 1200 words and he got in!</p>

<p>If I were you, I'd find something to write about for the second essay. To not do it might look as if you're not interested enough to bother.</p>

<p>they require 2 essays now? wow... the topics seem really similiar too... things are starting to get competitive! i'm glad i enrolled when i did. lol</p>