Estimate your admissions decision from UCSD

<p>Hey guys can u help me with this one :)</p>

<p>I was looking at the UCSD point chart and they award 500 points for Life altering event (foster care, death of immediate family member, personal involvement in a life trauma).</p>

<p>In my 3rd optional essay section, I talked about my grandfather's death during my 10th grade fall semester and this led to my awful performance during that semester. So am I eligible for the 500 points ?</p>

<p>PS: my grandpa lived with us before he died.</p>

<p>rameezkhan - I meant an incremental 150 points since I already projected 150 points based on the inital report of 140 or so volunteer hours, but since it was now over 200, I meant that this warranted assuming another 150 points toward the running total that SVMMom was keeping. Admittedly confusing, sorry. </p>

<p>yummymango - anything from 40 upwards gets the same allocation of 500 points. No sliding scale. Many of these are binary or trinary. 32 or less a-g gets 0 points. 33 to 39 gets half points. 40 to infinity gets full points. You should get full points. As for the points for parent's education, they look at the most educated of the two. If they have a four year degree you get zip. if the most educated went to college at all, you get half points. HS or less for the most educated, full points. In your case, I am sorry to say, zip. If you have editor in chief of the school paper you get those full points. Your points are above the guesstimate for this year's admission value. Assuming you are in-state, likely admit but if there was a big jump in higher qualified applicants this year, maybe not. I would bet yes. If OOS, you are probably just a bit above the line and I would say decent chances. </p>

<p>amby262roy - if the essay made it clear that your grandfather lived with you at the time, thus acted as immediate family and that it had a dramatic impact on grades, then I would say that you should have been awarded points. I could argue either way for 250 or 500. Safe to assume 250. If the essay didn't make it crystal clear that he was part of the family in the same home, they may not award the points, but you could make a reasonable case on appeal if rejected. They might ask for more information if you appeal, such as how long he lived with you, the type of relationship you had, and also look at the seriousness of the grade drop at that point.</p>

<p>well since i didn't know that we could write as much as we wanted in this section, I only wrote like a couple of sentences(4) about how much he took care of me as a child.
so should i expect 500 or 250 or 0?</p>

<p>@rameezkhan = with that extra 500 points , 7936</p>

<p>amby262roy - based on what you said that you wrote, probably will be assigned zero. If you don't get an acceptance, call the admissions office. If you are within 250 or 500 points of the cutoff, bring up the facts about your grandfather and see if they will accept an appeal.</p>

<p>here's what i've got
GPA-(4.09) = 4,090
SAT-(2100+1270) x.8 = 2,696
A-G = 500
Community Service (more 250 hrs. over the past two years) = 300
Clubs/Leadership (President of Asian club/captain of JV golf) =150
So I'm pretty close at 7,740 with these stats.
So now for the questions. I play first chair in an ensemble and I played in my music school's honors concert last year. Does that count for 150 in terms of awards/achievements outside of school? I also wrote about how my mom battled cancer when i was younger and how it influenced me to create a team over the past four years for Relay for Life. Does this get me 250 or 0? Thanks homies.</p>

<p>mizunopro - </p>

<p>no points for the school concert. The awards are intended to be major scope events - statewide or national type. </p>

<p>The life trauma points really depends on how you wrote it up in the essay. Not sure if you will get points but 250 is possible.</p>

<p>Hopefully you are in, since you are more than 10% above the guesstimate of the cutoff, and won't need any of those points.</p>

<p>Oops, I meant to input 500 instead of 300 for my A-G courses, so I'm still at 7,814. I won a national essay contest, receiving a $100 scholarship. Rider730, you said that this doesn't count, right?</p>

<p>what is sd's conversion between act and sat. i have a 33 act without essay and a 32 with the essay. do they look at w/o or with the essay?</p>

<p>how accurate is the 7700 estimate?
also, how low is too low?</p>

<p>It may be higher this year considering the cutoff raises every year.</p>

<p>Yeah, and it's probably inclined to rise more than previous years because of the financial crisis. For me:</p>

<p>GPA: 4000
SAT: (2350+800+800)*0.8</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Very, very close. I have a 1st place award in a painting contest (nation-wide), but since it says I need two, I guess I can't count that. I do wonder how much higher of a cutoff the engineering school will have...Any estimates?</p>

<p>For engineering, higher than 7700, that's for sure.</p>

<p>Hmm, what about economics?</p>

<p>movicontr,</p>

<p>I would add on 150 because if I'm not mistaken, a single award/talent gives you 150...more than one gives you 300.</p>

<p>7748...cuttin it close. although its hard to say how essays will affect.</p>

<p>4.21<em>1000+(2280+800+800)</em>0.8+500+300+300 = 8414</p>

<p>4.21 UC
34 ACT = about 2280 SAT
2 800 SAT 2s</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I got invited to SD Scholar's Day, if that helps</p>

<p>would someone with a score in the 7000-7500 range be too far away?</p>

<p>well i guess i am out of the running for UCSD. =(
dang it , i really wanted to do chemE there.
Time for the rejection letter</p>

<p>With this system... no wonder the school is boring</p>