"Estimated Need" vs. Actual Aid

<p>OK, so I'm in the student center under my financial aid section. It gives me a number of the financial budget, my family's contribution, and then my estimated need. But, on the bottom it says, "If the gap between your financial need and the amount offered in aid is significant, it may be very difficult to meet UW-Madison costs of attendance."</p>

<p>So, my questions are: how often is that number met? how often do people actually get any aid, if they have a number for estimated need? And, do people ever get more than that number? I'd hate to go to wisconsin for the full price when I can go to rutgers (in-state) for 60k total (all 4 years).</p>

<p>UW-Madison rarely meets full need. Don't bank on not having to pay anything.</p>

<p>Well my estimated need is only a touch under 10k...not THAT much (defintely not expecting to go for free). Do you think I can get at least 5k?</p>

<p>You will get the chance to take out loans and do the work program and maybe a $400 grant but that's it unless you get a scholarship. But being from out of state is difficult unless you go thru some alumni group and you are an excellent student.</p>